26| graduation

Avery

My heart was beating faster than I had ever felt, overtaking my thoughts and hearing. I could practically feel it banging against my chest fighting to jump into out. Scanning over the large crowd my stomach twisted in knots at the idea that all of their eyes would be on me.

The blue gown draped loosely over my body as I stood up from my chair, the row I was in being called up next. I looked at the large stage we were about to approach hoping I wouldn't mess anything up. Intrusive thoughts ran through my head, what if I fell and embarrassed myself in front of everyone?

Graduation had finally come. After the whole mess my family went through I was glad we were all here today to celebrate. My heels clicked against the polished floor as I was nearing the front of the line trying not to stumble as I wasn't used to wearing them.

Anxiously I had tuned everything else out; only counting the amount of people ahead of me until it was my turn. The loud clapping and cheering sounded muffled going through my bust mind as each student walked across the stage.

The principal's voice boomed over the speakers, a microphone in his hand as he called out my name.

"Avery Miller" Mr. Cruz smiled looking over towards me. Hearing my mom and Greg from the stands made me feel happy, glad that I had accomplished something worth being proud of.

Next was my friends turn, yelling loudly. My face instantly lit up trying to fight back the tears looking at them each. Excited expressions on their faces as they clapped.

I wiped my sweaty palms trying to calm down my breathing as I slowly stepped across, feeling everyone looking at me. My social anxiety has definitely gotten worse over the years and being the center of attention in front of all these people was terrifying, even if it was only for a couple of minutes.

Trying not to freak myself out by looking, I shook his hand before grabbing my diploma. Facing the camera as it snapped a few pictures of the both of us.

"Congratulations Avery, I hope you make it far in life"

"Thank you Mr. Cruz, I know I wasn't here for long but thank you for giving me a great last year here" I smiled in appreciation. If I hadnt have moved here I would've never known how great school could be, or meet all the amazing people I did.

I walked off the stage with adrenaline rushing though my body, taking my seat as I waited for the people I grew to love walk across next.

"Easton Smith"

"Woo!" Multiple cheers were heard. He flashed a cheesy smile towards the crowd before grabbing his folder. For never having a brother before, Easton was a pretty good one.

"Lydia Walker"

"Yeah!" I screamed out. Seeming to have heard me, she turned my way giving me a small wink.

Lydia was one of those friends you knew it would last a lifetime. She had always shown me care and love that I've never gotten from another girl before. I was thankful she was the person I could call my best friend.

The last person I was waiting on was now Landon. Living with him had been great, I felt safer and we were starting to grow closer. I knew what he liked to eat and what his favorite shows were and he learned that I liked my beauty sleep as well as late night snacks.