Chapter 23

"Happy Valentine's Day, Declan Rice."

"Happy Valentine's Day, your Royal Highness. I'm sorry for calling you this late, today has been hectic."

"It's ok, don't worry. I've also had a busy day getting everything ready for my trip to South Africa."

"I'm gonna miss you so much when you leave..."

"You'll be fine, Declan. With all the games you are playing while I'm gone, you won't have time to miss me. And we'll be in the same time zone, we can keep calling each other."

"Yeah... But if I'm really needy, I'll have you kilometers away, not as close as I have you now."

"If you are needy, you have some of the photos from our Christmas dinner. Use them" I smirk.

"It isn't the same and you know it."

"Do you have early training tomorrow?"

"I sadly do, yes. Were you planning on paying me a visit?" he asks with a mischievous smile.

"Since you seem to be so needy..."

"Urgh, it sucks that we can't see each other on Valentines Day."

"It is like any other day, Declan."

"Yeah, but it is our first Valentine's Day together. I wanted to have a lovely dinner together, maybe watch a movie, then make love until the sun comes out... Those things."

"Those things" I laugh. "But are we back to making love?"

"It's Valentine's Day. You must be romantic."

"And on your birthday we fucked..."

"Because we had to celebrate that I was alive for another year."

"Ok" I laugh again. "So should I expect the same for my birthday in a couple of months?"

"You should. You definitely should" he says, giving me that look that makes my body burn.

"Eleanor!"

"Holy shit, mum!" I say, my phone slipping from my hands and hitting the floor as I get up from the sofa. "Have you never heard of these things called knocking or ringing the bell?"

"I'm your mother, I don't need to do that."

"Yes, you do need to do that. This is my house."

"Whatever. Have you seen this?" she says, showing me her phone.

"Oh, that. They made it official" I reply, looking at a photo of Roberta and Mason.

"You knew about this?"

"Of course I did, mum. She is my best friend."

"So you've been hanging out with him? With a football player?"

"Jesus, mum. Why do you always talk about them as if they were something disgusting? Did one of them break your heart as a teen or something?" I laugh.

"Don't be silly" she scoffs. "Have you been hanging out with him, yes or no?"

"I have, mum" I say, rolling my eyes. "Mason is a really nice guy, and he makes Roberta very happy."

"Mason. What type of name is that?" she chuckles.

"Oh my God, mum. Who cares?"

"I do. And I don't like you mingling with football players."

"What?"

"They are just a bunch of spoiled kids with too much money who spend it on ugly cars, uglier clothes and cheating on their wives."

"Oh wow" I laugh. "You just described half the boys I grew up with."

"Don't compare them, Eleanor. They aren't the same."

"Yeah, that's true. Football players earn their own money with their talent and have an actual job. These kids are just wasting their parents money and doing nothing. If they want a job, they don't have to worry, daddy will give them one."

"You are so... Urgh!" my mum says. "I truly hope the boy you are seeing isn't one of them."

"A spoiled rich kid? Nope, he isn't. And how do you know I am seeing someone?"

"Your grandmother told me when we had a chat on Christmas. But I was talking about a football player, not a decent boy from a good family."

"Decent. You love that word, don't you?" I laugh chuckle. "And you wouldn't say the same if you had been at the parties I've been to."

"Whatever. I just hope you have good taste."

"I have very good taste, mum. Don't worry" I smile.

"Good. And I better go, your dad is probably wondering where I am."

"I doubt it" I say to myself.

"What?"

"Nothing, nothing. Good night, mum."

"Goodnight, Eleanor" she says before leaving.

"Dec? Are you still there?" I say, picking my phone from the floor.

"Yeah..."

"I'm sorry you had to hear all that."

"Nah, it's ok. But the day I meet your mum... I fear for my life" he laughs. "Though I think you may be into something when you asked her if a football player dumped her, you know?"

"You think?"

"Yeah... Maybe, I don't know" he shrugs. "But she seems so bitter."

"She is bitter. I'll have to ask around, see if anyone knows something. And again, I'm sorry about everything she said."

"It's fine, don't worry. She may not like me, but I know you grandmother does and she is way scarier. It's good to know I have her on my side."

"It is, yes."

"Eleanor..."

"Uh?"

"We are gonna be fine, ok?"

"Yeah" I sigh.

"God, I wish I could be there to hug you."

"So do I."

"Ok, that's it. We are meeting tomorrow after training, clear your schedule."

"What?" I laugh.

"Tell them you don't feel ok or whatever. I know you are very clever when it comes to excuses to sneak around" Declan smirks.

"Mr. Rice, what are you implying?" I smile.

"Let's meet tomorrow, Eleanor. Here, at my place. We can have lunch together and then just lay on the sofa cuddling for the rest of the day. We'll even turn off our phones so one bothers us."

"That sounds perfect."

"Do we have a date, then?"

"We do, yes."

"Perfect. See you tomorrow, Eleanor. I love you."

"I love you too, Declan."