CHAPTER VIII - Silver Thorntail

_____________

"But just to appease your curiosity, since this is the only time you'll ever see them, here is the only other black besides General Melgren's and the only Silver Thorntail left

"But just to appease your curiosity, since this is the only time you'll ever see them, here is the only other black besides General Melgren's and the only Silver Thorntail left."
__________

"Keep the temperaments of each specific breed in mind when you decide which dragons to approach and which to run from at Threshing," Professor Kaori says, his serious eyes watching all of us.

He's an illusionist, the only professor in the Riders Quadrant with that certain signet. He's conjured an image of a Green Daggertail and a Red Scorpiontail, telling us all about the dragons and what to expect of their nature. He adds if there are any willing to bond this year to give us a sense of what dragon we want and how many there will be to choose from.

"Red Scorpiontails, like Ghrian here, are the quickest to temper," Professor Kaori continues, stopping to look at the crowd of First-years again. "So if you offend him, you're—"

"Lunch," Ridoc says from my left, making the entire room burst out in small, quiet laughter.

"Precisely," Professor Kaori answers. "So what's the best way to approach a Red Scorpiontail?" He looks at the now silent first-years.

"You don't," Rhiannon mutters next to me. I let out a huff of agreement.

"They prefer that you approach from the left and from the front, if possible." a women with hair a few shades darker then my platinum blonde answers.

"Excellent." Professor Kaori nods in apporvement. "For this Threshing, there are three Red Scorpiontails willing to bond." The image at the front of the classroom changes.

"How many dragons are there in total?" Rhiannon asks.

"A hundred for this year," Professor Kaori answers, switching the image again. "But some might change their minds during Presentation in about two months, depending on what they see."

My stomach turns to knots.

"That's thirty-seven fewer than last year." I exclaim.

Professor Kaori's eyebrows raise. "Yes, Cadet Mairi, it is, and twenty-six fewer than the year before that."

"Will they tell you why they won't bond?" A brunette man asks.

"No, jackass," Jack scoffs, his ice blue eyes narrowing. "Dragons only talk to their bonded riders, just like they only give their full name to their bonded rider. You should know that by now."

Professor Kaori sends Jack a look that shuts him up. I think Professor Kaori might be my favourite professor.

"They don't share their reasons," Professor Kaori starts. "And anyone who respects their life won't ask a question they're not willing to answer."