Chapter 2: Not my star sign

Luna stood there for a good few minutes looking up at the thing in front of her. He was used to this kind of reaction, humans are fickle beings after all. But the constant gaping tends to get tedious so he decided to waltz right in. Luna, dumbfounded, followed suit. She didn't really want this creature in her house after all, but then again she did technically invite him in.

The demon took a deep breath in before he gestured to the small wooden table with two wobbly chairs either side of it. Luna cautiously took a seat and the demon followed suit. He clasped his hands together and looked Luna straight in the eye as he began to speak. His amber irises suddenly seemed a lot scarier close up, almost as if she could see the pits of hell dwelling inside them.

'You don't understand your situation, do you human?'

Luna gawped at the tall being. Did she understand what she did? She really didn't think it would work.

'I made a deal with you?'

'Correct. And you must also understand the terms too, right?'

'Yeeeeees?'

'Because if you didn't, I'd be wondering why you summoned me in the manner you did. After all, I haven't taken a human contract in a while, but yours certainly grabbed my attention.'

'Wait, what do you mean?'

The demon stared at her for a couple moments before releasing a deep sigh. She really didn't know the mess she had gotten herself entangled with. The demon leaned in his seat as he prepared to explain the harsh reality this poor human had plopped herself in.

​'Listen, human.'

​'Luna.'

​'Listen, Luna, us demons don't make deals out of the goodness of our hearts. We tend to always gain more than the person making the deal.'

​'I'm aware, you want my soul. That's how this works right? You serve me until my wish is fulfilled and then you gain my soul when I die.'

​'Sweetheart, I'm not a genie. I don't grant wishes. I make bargains. But you messed up the contract.'

​Luna stared blankly at the demon for a few moments. 'I'm not following.'

​'Well little Luna, you said a word incorrectly. And summoning demons is a very specific process, so what you say in the spell is vital.'

​'I don't understand, I followed the book. I didn't mean to change anything.'

​'You may not have meant to, but the reality is you did. And I'll just say, I'm quite intrigued to see how this'll play out.'

​'So what did I do exactly?'

​The demon's eyes glow as he smiles at the human. He scraped his tongue across his fangs, making Luna more and more uncomfortable.

'My dear, instead of offering your soul for consumption, you offered it to me in matrimony.'

​'Wait, so that means...'

​'We're engaged darling.'

​Luna sat there in shock as the demon smiled at her. How could this have happened? All she wanted was a temporary companion to shut her mother up about her failed love life, not a fiancé!

'But-but I didn't sign anything!'

​'That's not how demon contracts work doll, it's more of a binding verbal agreement.'

​'Okay well I want to verbally cancel this arrangement! I no longer require your services Mr Demon!'

Again, Luna was greeted with his booming laughter, he truly couldn't believe just how naive this human was.

​'Leo.'

​Luna looked at him puzzled; did she hear him right? The demon calmed himself down as he sat in awkward silence with the mortal whilst she processed the single word he uttered.

'Sorry, what did you say? I was kind of distracted by your annoying laughter.'

​The demon smirked at Luna's sudden change in attitude. It would appear she no longer wanted to play the part of the doe eyed little girl.

'Leo.'

​'Leo?'

​'Mhm'

​'I didn't realise we were close enough to share our zodiac signs. I'm a Cancer, glad we got that established.'

​'Not my star sign doll, it's my name.'