Chapter 10 | Pity

"Nah, I'm fine. I like sleeping in."

I woke up and I could tell it was pretty late. The energy level of the house was high and Soda was gone, which means he was at work. I had today and tomorrow to get over this before I had to go back to school.

I left my room and went to see the gang. Hopefully they would distract me and take my mind off of how I was feeling.

Everyone silenced when I walked into the room. Mr. and Mrs. Curtis were gone, probably at work. So was Darry, Soda, and Steve. Hopefully Johnny and Ponyboy have been keeping the chaotic ones under control.

"Is everything alright...?" I asked, they were all silent now. I was scared they were going to ask how I was feeling .

"Elle, how're ya feelin', man?" Johnny asked, disregarding my question.

"I'm okay." I sighed. I wish they could just leave it alone, I just want to play it off like she's still here...except I can't see her or talk to her.

They all looked at me, disbelief clear on their faces. I don't blame them, but I don't want to talk about it. They all seemed to shrug it off, so I went to sit down on the floor. Two-bit got up.

"Sit on the couch, Elle." He said, moving onto the floor. I knew why he was doing this, but I decided to ignore it.

The guys were all talking for a while, except for Ponyboy, who was still silent. Whatever was bothering him yesterday must still be bothering him.

After a while, Two-bit and Dally were picking on him a bit. I could tell he was having a hard time, so I decided to stop it. I stood up.

"I'm going on a walk, wanna come Ponyboy?" I asked, smiling at him. He nodded, getting up quickly and following me out the door.

When we were far enough from the house, I noticed him looking sad, and he wasn't bothering to hide it anymore.

"You alright?" I asked him. He shrugged.

"I don't wanna be a bother, you're mom just left this morning." He said.

"Don't worry 'bout that, I wanna make sure you're doin' okay." I said. He sighed.

"Socs bein' Socs, as usual." He said.

"What do ya mean? What'd they do?" I asked, growing angry. I am very protective of him, I always have. He's younger and I've been through the stuff he's going through now. 

"Eh, it's not that important." I could tell he was embarrassed. I don't know how to convince him that I won't judge him.

"Pony, what'd they do?" I asked again. I hated to be pushy, but I felt like it was important for me to know.'

"They just harass me and stuff, but one time, yesterday, they pulled a blade on me." He didn't look me in the eyes while explaining. Poor kid. I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Ya'know that doesn't make you weak, right?" I wanted to know. "Be honest."

He didn't say anything, but that was my answer. He didn't know. I don't blame him. Greasers are supposed to be tough and he has a reputation to uphold as Darry and Soda's brother, and Dally's friend.

"Don't tell the others, alright?"

"I won't, I promise." I said. I knew if Darry found out, he wouldn't hear the end of it. Also, I don't want his parents worrying about him. The gang as well. They would probably pick on him about it.

"Ready to go back? Or do ya wanna keep walking for a while?" I asked.

"Let's go to the DX." He said. I nodded, wondering why he'd want to go. He usually goes when he's with Johnny and Dally. Even then, he goes very rarely. I go almost every day. I shrugged it off.

"Alright." I said. 

We didn't run into any Socs. Ponyboy and I wouldn't be able to fight them off alone.

Soda was working at the counter when we got there. He smiled his signature movie-star smile when he saw us walk in. The girls always fell for his smile.

"Finally woke up, huh?" Soda asked me.

"Yeah, I did." I said.

"I really think you should work here. You could make some extra money and you wouldn't sleep in too late." He said.

"Nah, I'm fine. I like sleeping in." I playfully rolled my eyes.

I really want you to. It would be so much more fun." Soda said, still trying to convince me.

"Give it up, Sodes. I'm not going to work here, and that's final." I crossed my arms, raised my eyebrows, and looked at him. He playfully rolled his eyes and chuckled.

--------------------------------------------------------

Published March 8th, 4:37 PM EST

Words: 763