Chapter 2

The next morning, Lillian awoke to the peaceful quiet of her room. She could hear the waves crashing against the beach in the distance. The rain must have stopped, she deduced, as she no longer heard the constant tattering of the rain drops. She took a long stretch and felt the ache in her ankle. It did seem better, though, so she hoped she wouldn't have to stay off of it much longer. She grinned. She'd have to see what 'Doctor' James said about her ankle. She chuckled to herself and wondered what he would think of that title.

Then, she realized something seemed different. She frowned and immediately sat straight up in bed. Her gaze went straight to the fireplace that was directly in her view. It was off. She looked around and realized that the ice bucket was gone, as was the towel and ice bag from the night before.

James had already been in her room that morning—without her knowing. She swallowed slowly. He was kind, he was a gentlemen, he was safe. He just didn't understand social norms, she reminded herself. She didn't have to worry. She repeated these things to herself once more before there was a knock on their connecting door. She laid back against the pillows and pulled the blankets up, protectively, out of instinct, even though she was still in the long sleeve plaid pajamas and perfectly safe. She cleared her throat. "Come in."The door slowly opened and she saw James peaking through it for a moment before stepping in with another tray. "Good morning, Lillian."

"Morning, James." She watched quietly as he brought the tray over, astonished to find it filled with breakfast items. He set it down, in the empty space next to her on the queen size bed. He stood awkwardly staring at it for a moment before she decided to speak again. "James, you've been in my room once already this morning, haven't you?"

She watched him slowly swallow and shift his weight back and forth, that right hand of his clenched in a fist again. "I knocked. You didn't answer. I wanted to be sure you were okay, so I just peeked in. I saw you were asleep so I just stepped in to get the ice bucket. Oh, and the bag of ice—it had turned to water—that you had set on your side table." He pointed to the side table as he talked about it, and glanced quickly at her, then back to the tray. "I didn't touch your things. Or you. I just cleaned up."

"And turned off the fireplace."

"Oh yes, and turned off the fireplace." He had turned his attention towards the location he was discussing, then after a moment turned back and looked at her with his head cocked to the side. 

"Did I do something wrong?"

"James, I know you mean well. But it's presumptuous of you to walk into a lady's bedroom without permission. I don't know you well and while I've put a great deal of trust in you, allowing you to be in my room and help with my ankle—not everyone might be understanding under the same circumstances," she said as she considered him standing before her meekly. "I am thankful that you are being so kind to look after me, but I'll be fine—it's just a twisted ankle. It's feeling much better already."

"Have you tried to stand up on it?" he said, frowning as he looked to see if there was evidence from her bed covers of her getting out of bed.

"No, I haven't. I knew 'Doctor James' would be upset with me if I had."He smirked. She counted another tic on her side for making him smile again. "I'm not a doctor."

"No, but you do treat your patients well, James. This isn't your fault, you don't have to look after me out of some feeling of obligation."

"It is my fault. But that isn't why I'm looking after you," he said with a shake of his head. She frowned a bit. "I won't argue any more about whose fault it is—it's behind us now. But if not for that reason, then why?"

He looked back at her, this time straight into her eyes. It made her feel as if he was looking into her soul somehow. It was only then she realized it was the first time he had looked her in the eye. "Because you are kind, and deserve kindness. And it's the right thing to do. I want to do the right things."