Chapter Eighteen

Eyes lowered down, his fingers absentmindedly graze the words on the bracelet. For the last few days, he's forgotten how many times it was brought out of the box. Now he's actually grateful for keeping this to himself and not returning it to her.

Thousand thoughts keep wandering in his mind. When and how all this happened, Miles has no idea. The only thing he feels right now is nothing will be like before anymore. It's like that one girl opened a new door to his heart and all the others have been locked with deadbolts already. He doesn't know how to define this feeling but it's something so strong that his daily life has been affected. The thought of her leaving only makes it worse. He's got a feeling once she's out of his reach, he will never get a hold of her again and it's scary.

"Just strangle yourself with that, will you?" Reid mocks with an eye roll, making him look up. His face doesn't show any emotion as he stares into nothingness while seeming deep in thought. Slowly, a smile stretches across his face and he turns to Reid.

"You know, she used to make silly jokes to make me laugh and it always worked. One of the things I love most about her is how she put in effort to bring a smile to my face and it really moved me."

"Yeah and now that you lost her, you have your whole life to cry," Reid deadpans, making the most critical face possible with his arms folded across his chest. But it doesn't affect Miles. He leans back on the headboard before speaking out of the blue,

"I asked her to meet me tomorrow."

Reid looks surprised for a moment then he composes himself, "Really? Why?"

"I said I want to talk to her."

"What are you going to talk about?"

Miles slightly shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know yet."

Reid facepalms himself, "You are a dumbo."

"I just need to be sure whether my feelings are reciprocated or not."

Miles says in a sincere tone as Reid answers his question.

"That day when we were talking, she was asking me a lot of questions about your love life and when I teased her about you, she looked shy and she didn't try to deny it. I guess that says enough." A frown appears on his face, "What are you planning to do, Miles?"

Miles doesn't answer, leaving Reid's question hanging in the air. This attitude of his best friend always irritates him. Miles is like a puzzle that's missing a piece, he'd surrender himself to you yet you won't be able to get inside his head. Everything about him is just dark and hazy until he decides to show it all himself. It seems like he takes each step with a world of secrets in his mind and takes pleasure in seeing others suffer trying to read him.

Evil... Reid thinks to himself.

.....

As soon as his eyes fall on her making her way towards the lake he's standing by, he releases a sigh of relief. To some extent, he was uncertain if she'll show up or not.