Chapter Thirty One

"You're messing up my hair, Miles."

"I love the shampoo you use. Is it jasmine?" he asks, ignoring Juliet's remark as his fingers play with the little roses hanging from the bun stick by a string that holds her hair in place. Miles flicks the string once again while she keeps her eyes glued to the book she's been trying to read for a while, but he won't stop touching her hair.

"I don't know. I find a shampoo and I use it. Sometimes I use my dad's shampoo by mistake. So what about it?" she says with a giggle. He responds with a laugh, and with a gentle tug, he releases the bun stick from its hold, causing her black hair to cascade down her back in a graceful display.

"But if you love this scent, I will use it from now on."

"It's beautiful," he comments, softly inhaling the fragrance. When he breathes out on her neck, she shivers inwardly at the contact. She feels Miles run his fingers through the long tresses, spreading them across her back. The tender sensation sends a pleasant shiver through her, and his other hand slowly encircles her waist, drawing Juliet closer so her back rests against his chest. Even though everything he's doing seems to pull her focus away, and she has indeed stopped reading already, she maintains her pretense, too nervous to acknowledge the gravity of the situation.

"So... What are you reading?" he asks, his voice a low whisper in her ear.

"Um, I... I'm reading a romance book."

"What's the story about?" As Miles lets his hand loop more fully around her, she instinctively leans back until her head meets his shoulder.

"The guy is head over heels for the girl, but she just pushes him away. I understand he made a mistake, but he's so sorry. I feel bad. I don't understand why she's being so stubborn, ugh..."

"Mhm, like you."

Juliet snaps her head immediately, meeting his playful eyes. "Eh, not at all. At this point in the book, I would not push him away at all. I would take him back in a heartbeat. He's so cute!"

He beams a smile in her direction before gathering her hair and moving them off her face with his palms. Then he tilts his head and lightly places his lips on her cheek while his thumb caresses her jaw. Her eyes widen, a blush creeping on her face as she calls his name.

"Miles..."

"Yeah?"

"Did you steal a weed cookie from my cookie box?"

A humorous laugh erupts from his chest, and he looks back at her, their faces so close.

"First of all, you don't have weed cookies in your box. All of them are chocolate flavored, I know. And lastly, the closest thing to weed you ever saw was probably a picture. Are you trying to get transported to prison by any chance?"