Part 17

cont..

Naaziya quietly approached him and found him seated on a bench in the garden. She stood before him, giving him the space to acknowledge her presence. As he noticed her, he reached out and drew her close. Resting his head gently against her stomach, he whispered, 'Naaz wo theek to hoga naa' A tear welled up in his eye and rolled down his cheek.

Witnessing his vulnerability tugged at Naaziya's heartstrings. She tenderly wrapped her arms around him, her fingers gently massaging the back of his head. 'Hyder, Sameer bhai ko kuch nahi hoga.' she reassured him, her voice carrying a soothing tone. Responding to his need for solace, he embraced her, his hands encircling her waist, offering him her unwavering support in this trying moment.

The poignant moment did not go unnoticed by two onlookers: Shafa and her mother Sumaira. Sumaira couldn't contain her disapproval, and she moved to intervene, only to be held back by Shafa's restrained gesture. Frustrated, Sumaira turned and walked away, with a saddened Shafa following her.

As Hyder and Naaziya eased their embrace, she settled beside him, curling her arm around his bicep and resting her head on his shoulder. Hyder's words poured out, his guilt and self-blame evident.

'Wo mujhse jhagda karke gaya tha aur maine usse roka bhi nahi. Maine to tumhe majboor kar diya jaane ko.' he confided; his emotions raw.

Naaziya's soft shushing silenced his self-blame, and she gently guided his face towards her, meeting his eyes with understanding and warmth. 'Isme aapki koi galti nahi hai. Ye sirf accident hai aur aap humari bewkoofi ke liye khud ko kyu dosh de rahe. Please ab aisa naa soche' she spoke softly.

Hyder's voice wavered as he confessed, 'I believed I had prepared myself for anything life could throw at me, but I never imagined this. I don't think I have the strength to face it.'

Naaziya's response was immediate and unwavering, 'It too will pass and we will face it together.' Her words held a promise of unity, a shared journey through the challenges that lay ahead.

**

Returning to where their family had gathered, Shafa could observe the impact Naaziya had on Hyder. While he wasn't exactly relieved or entirely calm, there was a subtle transformation in him, a slight courage that suggested Naaziya's presence had given him a measure of strength.

'Ammi aap ghar jao, main hu yahan' Hyder turned to his mother, making a request.

His mother's immediate response was refusal, vehemently denying the idea. Sensing his predicament, Hyder exchanged a quick glance with Naaziya, silently communicating his need for assistance.

Naaziya stepped in, addressing Salma, 'Tayi Ammi, yahan sab log honge to doctors ko pareshani hogi. Ghar chalte hai aur main aapko wapas se shaam ko laungi. Aur ghar pe jaa kar sabke liye khana bhi banana hai, sab yahan bhooke hai. Chalo ammi, aap sab log bhi chalo'.

'Haan Bhabhi, Naaz sahi keh rahi hai' Inayat supported her daughter. Salma, after some initial hesitation, finally gave in to the collective sentiment.

**

Shafa found herself reflecting on the incident that had transpired at the hospital. She had spent several hours with Hyder, trying her best to console and comfort him, yet it seemed that it was Naaziya's presence that had provided him the solace he truly needed. The contrast was stark, and it left Shafa feeling a mix of confusion and unease.

During that time, Shafa's mother, Sumaira, entered the room. Her words cut through the air with a definitive proclamation, 'Shafa, maine tumhare Abbu se baat kari. Hume nahi lagta tumhe Hyder se Nikah karna chahiye'.

'But Ammi..' Shafa tried to defend Hyder's action.

'Dekho Shafa, Hum tumhara bhala chahte hai. Hyder aacha ladka hai, par tumhare liye theek nahi hai. Hum nahi chahte tum aise rishte mein raho jisme pyar hi naa ho. You deserve better' Sumaira tried explaining her perspective. 'Dekha naa, kaise wo ladki aur Hyder ek dusre se gale mile hue the. Galat hai ye sab aur main apni bachi ke saath galat nahi hone dungi' she continued.

'Ammi, unke bhai ka accident hua tha; emotional the wo'

Sumaira's tone grew firm, 'Beta hum kal paida nahi hue hai. Uski maa aur mangetar the wahan aur uske baad wo uss badzat ladki se gale mil kar dukh kam kar raha tha'

'Ammi, aap aisa mat bolo, wo bhi ladki hai. Sirf apni ladki ko izzat dengi aap' Shafa countered.

'Beta, izzat kamayi jaati hai, Kaam izzat wale karegi to dungi. Aur uski kya kahu wo to thi hi aisi, jab khud ka ladka wahi kar raha tha. Mujhe unki baat nahi karni, bas itna bolna hai ab tumhari shaadi usse nahi hogi.'

With that final declaration, Sumaira left Shafa's room, leaving her daughter behind to grapple with the situation and her feelings.