Part 21

The Mehndi ceremony was underway, and Sameer's Nikah was just two days away.

'Bhaiya, Salma Biji ne aapko kamre mein bulaya hai' A maid informed Hyder; which he acknowledged with a nod.

'Ji Ammi, bataye kya kaam hai?' Hyder asked wondering if it was related to some event preparations.

'Sameer ke Nikah ke saath, tum Naaziya se engagement kar rahe ho' Salma announced.

'Ammi, phir wahi baat' Hyder was frustrated beyond limit.

'Hyder, Agar zara sa bhi Naazo ka khyal hai to maan jao. Tumhe pata bhi hai log kaisi kaisi baatein kar rahe uske baarein mein' Salma scolded him.

'Ammi, mere saath nikah karke uski zindagi kharab hogi. Abhi wo bachi hai, uske umar ka ladka dekhna chahiye aapko' Hyder tried to reason.

'Kahan se dhundoge? Sab bol rahe uska aur tumhara..' Salma stopped, unable to articulate the rumors that were circulating. 'Koi aacha ladka shaadi ke liye razamand nahi hoga'

'Par ye sach nahi hai Ammi' Hyder said, feeling helpless.

'Pata hai, par kis kis ka muh chup karwaoge' Salma continued 'Naaz, Areeb ki beti hai. Uske bahut ehsaan hai hum par. Uski beti ki izzat kharab hui to main kabhi tmko aur khuko maaf nahi kar paungi' she left saying her final words leaving Hyder conflicted and torn between his feelings and the expectations of his family.

**

Later in the night, Hyder found himself deeply pondering over his mother's words. She had struck a chord that resonated with his sense of loyalty and gratitude. Areeb chachu, his uncle, had been a pillar of support for their family, especially after his father's passing. Areeb moved to India from Australia in a heartbeat to stand by them during their difficult times. His family's unwavering love and support meant the world to Hyder.

As the night grew quieter, Hyder came to a resolution. He realized that sometimes, one must prioritize others' happiness over their own; Even if it meant sacrificing his own life, he knew the importance of keeping his family's honor intact.

With the first light of dawn, Hyder was already awake. He knew his mother would be preparing for the Fajr prayer. He entered her room quietly, his heart heavy with the decision he was about to share.

'Ammi, main tayar hu' Hyder's voice was filled with a mixture of determination and resignation. His mother looked at him with a knowing smile and reached out to gently pat his head.

Her simple gesture conveyed a deep understanding of the sacrifice Hyder was making for the sake of their family and their values.

**

He had skipped breakfast in order to communicate with the event planners about the additional function, his engagement. Now, seated in his study, Hyder's mind was occupied with thoughts of Naajiya. He hadn't had a chance to talk to her yet, to discuss his reservations and confirm whether she had agreed to marry him. A knock on his door drew his attention, and he was puzzled to find Farheen standing there, holding a cup, and wearing a sly smile.

'Mubarak ho, Hyder. Bhabhi ne abhi batayi tumhare aur Naajiya ke Nikah ki khabar' Farheen announced with a smirk.

'Aap yahan kyu aayi hai?' he asked with a touch of anger in his eyes.

'Arey main to bas puchne aayi thi, ki tum khush to ho na' she responded, placing the cup on the table and stepping closer to him 'Kabhi meri kami lage ya kuch poochna ho to bol dena. Main hamesha tayar hu' she said tracing her finger on his cheek.

He jerked her hand away from his face, annoyance evident in his expression 'Aap bhoole naa, main koi 16 saal ka Hyder nahi hu. Jisse aap dara dhamka ke kuch bhi kara le'

'Don't tease me, Hyder. I am sure you have gotten better in bed.' she stated coolly, unfazed by his rising anger.

'Just shut up and leave.' He said gritting his teeth.

'Theek hai, jaa rahi hu. Par main soch rahi thi, Naajiya ko kaisa lagega jab usko pata chalega uske shauhar aur uski badi ammi ki naajdekiyo ke baare mein' she threatened.

'Ye last warning hai, behtar hoga aap chali jaye. Warna dhakke maar ke nikalunga. Kamre se bhi...aur ghar se bhi' he retorted firmly.