18. the protagonist is hopelessly in love with the villain

"Then, Chen Miao, can you confidently tell me that not once, while you were with me, have you recalled the face that I made when I killed you?"

His eyes widened and his body went rigid from your question. Was he really not bothered by the fact that you murdered him? No, of course not. He does care about that.

You might not remember but Chen Miao has always loved you.

Once or twice in the past, he recalled there was a time when he had the chance to harm you, but he couldn't. There was you, pinning him down on the floor as your hands squeezed his throat. Your eyes were cloudy; it wasn't you, you were controlled, you would never harm him, he tried to convince himself as he used all his willpower not to grab the nearby weapon and injure you.

That's why none of the players was able to win this game; because the only way to win was to kill the villainess before the world itself tried to kill them, but how can the player kill her when the protagonist himself prevented them from doing so? Hence, from the beginning, what the players were playing was simply a hopeless, unwinnable game where they were destined to die no matter what.

"Have you never ever been plagued by the nightmares of your deaths? Do you, really, don't resent me at all?" He saw how heartbroken you looked as you squeezed his cheeks. "You shouldn't be so foolishly kind, Chen Miao. It's a different story if you don't remember. At least I could pretend that it isn't this version of you that I killed, but when you do remember, I feel too guilty to even appear in front of you."

Foolishly kind? The protagonist has never associated himself with that trait. Of course he had nightmares. Of course at his most vulnerable moment, he felt resentful, but it's not directed towards you. Never you. The blame lies on those who used the two of you like a puppet on the strings. You weren't the one at fault. After all, he knew your circumstances better than you could ever understand them.

"Then feel guilty," he held the hands that were touching his cheeks as he smiled. "Feel guilty and make up for it by loving me."

ーjust like the old days.

There was something that you didn't know, that you didn't remember. You weren't a villainess, and he wasn't a protagonist. Once upon a time, the two of you were created as a pair, two lovebirds that only see each other. You may think that you were harassing him, forcing him, molesting him, and that he resented you for doing that to him, but that was wrong. He liked it. His insecurity in the past was the sole reason why you would do that to him, and he gained confidence when you took the lead, and now even after you don't remember, such behaviour was like a habit to you but you only do that to him.

He was glad that even in this state, you subconsciously kept your promise; you only look at him, see only him, and reserved your love only for him.

He is yours as much as you are his.

After so long, he was finally able to see you speechless by his words. This time, it was your turn to have your blood rise to your face.

"Why someone like me?" He heard you ask in a whisper-like tone.

ーbecause it can only be you.

But he couldn't say it, not when there are too many gazes prying upon the two of you, not when that eyesore of a system was looking at him in disbelief, and not when that woman is watching. She will definitely ruin you further if she heard.

So he merely smile, with a shy gaze, and cheeks blushing redーjust like the way you liked itーand he leaned down to kiss your forehead, oblivious to the people in the comments who were exploding in excitement at the sight of a 'tragic' romance between two NPCs.