22. confession on the rooftop

"So did you really catch a cold?" The transfer student casually asked as he randomly checked the labels attached to the bottles of medicines in the infirmary. Ocassionally, he would give the protagonist who was sitting on the bed a glance. "Seriously, be it in games or real life, infirmary nurses are always not around whenever we need them. Don't you think so too?"

Chen Miao remained silent. His grey eyes were glaring daggers at Kai. The latter still remember how those eyes would deeply gaze at him as he cried and clawed at the walls to be let go. Honestly, life in that cramped space was terrifying but once he remembered his real indentity, it wasn't that bad. The protagonist did keep him alive and well, talking and playing with him as if he were a beloved pet.

Kai doesn't know what happened on the night he was rescued, but once the system brought his memory back, all the insecurity and helplessness inside him disappeared. Instead, it was replaced with an image of that person who resembled you, how when his body was about to be put inside the incubator, she had come to visit and assure him that everything will be alright.

At the memory, his nape felt hot. He looked down shyly only for his reminiscent to be put to stop abruptly by Chen Miao. He groaned in pain when the said man pushed him against the wall.

Too realistic, he can't help but thought when his back throbbed. The pain, the visual, the sensation. That woman is right, her lover sure is a genius.

"Why are you still here?" The protagonist scowled. "Shouldn't you be back at your world by now? Why remain here? What are you planning?"

The transfer student smiled gentle, a smile so innocent it's no wonder he managed to make his fans pinning after him brainlessly.

"I just fell in love," he answered. "Is that too hard to understand?"

His answer must strike a nerve because Chen Miao's face immediately changed to fear, insecurity, and rage.  

"Lies. You don't love her," Chen Miao glared at him. "If you truly do love her, then you would go back and find a way to set her free, but even if you did, she is still not yours to claim."

"Who are you to dictate my feelings?" Kai sneered. "What about you? I don't know if you are aware of your situation or pretending not to know, but are you sure you love her? Are you sure you're not confusing her with the real one instead?"

He saw how the protagonist's Adam's apple bobbed as he took a step back warily.

"What do you mean?"

Guess what that woman told me was right, Kai thought in amusement. He recalled the conversation he had with the system last night after he was rescued.

The round ball called "system," produced a friendly female voice. It was laughing at the pouty face the actor was making after he received his memory back. Kai held the ball in his hands, imagining that it was the face of that woman he held.

"Ms. (L/n), you're too much, didn't you tell me that my safety is guaranteed?" 

「And I keep my promise, right? You're safe now,」the system replied.

"Does that mean that my role is done here? That I can go back?" He asked hopefully. "I wanted to see you."

「I can send you back but my schedules are too hectic to see you. I'm sorry,」it sighed.「originally, this season was supposed to end here, but Chen Miao, he's confused.」

The actor frowned in confusion. How did that lunatic that imprison him got anything to do with this conversation?

「I'm sorry for what Chen Miao did to you. If you want, we can even compensate you for your trauma,」it explained.「You see, people might think that Chen Miao is an NPC because he holds a rather important role in this world, but actually, he's a human. He's my lover. The creator of this world. So I really hope that you can forgive him.」