Chapter 1: Aurabelle

In the heart of  the countryside, there stands a dead house. The once-grand structure, now dilapidated and forgotten, exudes an eerie aura that sends shivers down the spines of those who dare to approach.

Within the living room, a figure known as Aurabelle resides, seated beside a window barricaded with boards

Within the living room, a figure known as Aurabelle resides, seated beside a window barricaded with boards. Cobwebs woven by resident spiders, drape every nook and cranny, impeding her path. Nonetheless, she pushes them aside, driven by a small aperture that connects her to the present world—a world she is no longer a part of, at least not in her physical form.

As children pass by, Aurabelle fixates her gaze upon them, her stare intense. They sense her presence, experiencing an inexplicable shiver. While many assume the house to be haunted, children these are less fearful of ghosts these days. Aurabelle used to derive satisfaction from scaring those who ventured near, but such amusement has waned. She sighs out of boredom and resentment, settling by the ancient hearth.

The forsaken furniture, remnants of a forgotten era, serves as silent witnesses to the passage of time. Faint echoes of its existence echo through the vacant rooms, evoking a melancholic melody from a time long gone. Aurabelle, forever bound to this decaying husk of a home, yearns for release, her presence mirroring the house's desolation and abandonment.

32 years had gone by sense her tragic death. Though much time has passed, she remains the same age when she died. Just 15 years old.

Aurabelle moves the cod webs out of the window as she tries and search for the kids she hears. Aurabelle's lips form a cold frown.

After centuries of confinement within the ethereal realm, Aurabelle is destined to feel the outside air one more time.

The kids screams grow louder and Aurabelle becomes more curious. They're so close by. She can hear them getting closer. If she had a heart it would be beating fast. Something in her was different. She tentatively stepped towards the decaying door and, to her astonishment, passed through it effortlessly. A sense of liberation washed over her as she realized her newfound ability to traverse the boundaries between the spirit realm and the tangible world.

The kids in front of Aurabelle now, stood still. Looking pass her, into the house.

"Hey, Lisa, did you see that? The door just opened on its own!" A little girl cries out before intensely looking back at her friend. 

"What? Are you serious, Sarah? I didn't touch it, did you?"

"No way! I was right here beside you. It just swung open, and there's no one else around."

Lisa's eyebrows raise and shakes her head slowly, her eyes fixated on the door. "That's... that's really creepy. Maybe it's just the wind?"

Sarah shakes her head. "I don't think so. The air feels still, and it's not even a drafty day. Plus, the door opened so slowly, as if someone or something were deliberately doing it."

Lisa shivers. "Okay, this is giving me major goosebumps. Should we investigate?" She raises her eyebrows.

Sarah shakes her head. "Are you crazy? My mom would kill me. I'm not going near that door! Who knows what could be on the other side?"

"You're right, it's better to be safe. But I can't shake off this eerie feeling. It's like we're being watched."

Aurabelle stands still. In between the door, in shock she finally got through. The realization makes her wonder if she had tried enough to leave in the first place.

Now what? Aurabelle wonders. The thought builds up inside of her and lack of answers make her angry. Now what? The thought plays through her head.

Sarah looks up at the boarded windows above. "I know exactly what you mean. We've heard stories about this house being haunted, but I never thought we'd witness something like this firsthand."

Lisa inched forward to peek more pass the door. She couldn't see much. "I always thought those stories were just urban legends, but now I'm not so sure. There's definitely something strange going on here."

"What happened?" Aurabelle asks them, knowing they won't hear her. "What happened to me?"

Sarah takes Lisa's hand. "Let's stick together and slowly back away. We should find someone who knows more about this place, maybe a local historian or paranormal expert."

Lisa smiles, excited and scared she experienced her first paranormal activity. "I hope we can find some answers and put our minds at ease."

Sarah tugs her friend. "Me too. But for now, let's get out of here. I don't want to spend another second near that mysterious door."

Aurabelle drifts closer to Sarah, a sudden gust of wind causes her to lose control, and she tumbles downward, accidentally passing through Sarah's body.

Startled, Lily gasps as a chilling sensation fills the air. Aurabelle, equally surprised, tries to regain her composure and realized the unintended contact she makes. She hovers anxiously, observing Sarah's reaction, hoping she was unharmed.

Sarah, feeling a strange presence around her, turned around in confusion. Her eyes widened as she caught a glimpse of a faint, translucent figure hovering nearby. Just for a second.

Aurabelle, filled with remorse, tries to communicate with Sarah, but her ethereal form prevents any direct interaction.

Sarah begins to cry as she struggles to get up. She frantically pats all around her body, screaming and barely able to stand on her own two feet.

Lisa grabs her friend and they begin the run away. Aurabelle tries to talk. She tries to call them back. She doesn't know why exactly but part of her feels bad. She mouths words but nothing comes out.

She runs back inside the house. Suddenly she can talk. She began a cursing and screaming and kicking.

"Why am I here! What did I do to deserve this!"

The house begins to moan and the doors shut close. Aurabelle lays on the ground and begins to whimper. "Why me? Why?"

The coldness of the house wraps Aurabelle in its grip. Everything is cold again and there's no wind. Just the house and it's haunting memories.