Chapter 2: Something in the House

Aurabelle sits in the the living room under the small slit of lighting beaming from the moon. Though still in utter shock of what happened yesterday, she feels a bit of excitement. This is the first time she's able to walk outside and come in contact with anyone in 32 years.

Humans. Being alive. Seeing bright vivid colors vs the dull fading colors of her abandoned home. All of these thoughts are running through her mind. She can't stop thinking about the two girls.

She mouths their names.

"Lisa."
"Sarah."

The words come out cold and dead. She thinks about them. She remembers what they wore. Sarah dressed more in baggy clothing. An oversized hoodie with some blue jeans. Lisa was on the boho side. Just like the wind, her clothes were light and flowed around with winds of that day. Sarah had dark kinky hair that was cut short. Lisa's hair was brunette and curly. She had a set of bangs that nearly covered her gray eyes. 

Aurabelle looks out the crack of the window wondering when she'll see them again. She walks near the front door. She touches it and her hand goes through. She tries to open it.

"Why won't it work now? Why did it only work when the girls showed up?" She asks herself.

There's a moan from other the floorboards. Deep in the basement. Aurabelle hears the familiar sound and inches away from the door with her head down.

"They have to come back." She says out-loud to herself. "They will be back."

***

As soon as morning arrives, Aurabelle waits at the door. She listens to the outside world, waiting for the familiar voices to come near again. More kids that pass that aren't Lisa and Sarah.  She tries to open the door when other kids come around, but she can't. She just watch as they tease the house and make up stories about the place.

Aurabelle hears all the different types of stories all the time. About how a father killed his whole family then left and he himself had never been found. Stories how the house was set on fire by the mother. How the house was haunted before anyone moved their and they were all killed by ghost.

Aurabelle knew all of those stories weren't true. It happened to her, not them. However, she's unsure of what exactly happened 32 years ago. Trapped in a house for those years, your memories fade away just as she faded away. But she remembers some things. She had a stepdad. A mom. A sister. Once open a time.

Aurabelle hears a sound and immediately snaps out of her thoughts. She rushes by the door, with a smile on her face. She hears the girls.

Sarah stands a good 10 feet from the house. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think we should go back and explore it."

Lisa kicks at rocks on the ground, peeking at the house and into the windows from a distant. "Are you serious? This place gave me nightmares all night! But... I admit, I'm kind of curious. Just promise me we won't stay too long, okay?"

Aurabelle's eyes widen from excitement. "Yes!" She says to herself. She does a little twirl, hoping they come in. "Maybe they can help me leave this place forever!" She hopes.

The house moans and Aurabelle looks around. She feels a little frightened. She places her hand on the door and whispers, perhaps hoping no one can hear her. "Please."

Lisa runs up to Sarah and squeezes her had. "Deal. I've done some digging, and I discovered some fascinating history about the house. Apparently, it was built in the late 1800s by a wealthy family, the Walters. They had a tragic past and they say whoever lives here, the house brought out the worst in them."

Sarah raises an eyebrow. "What happened to them?"

Lisa continues the story. "Legend has it that the Walters were involved in some dark rituals and made a deal with a malevolent spirit. Their descendants still bear the curse today. Strange things started happening in that house—disappearances, unexplained deaths. It became abandoned only 30 something years ago.

Sarah shivers and looks at the house. "That's terrifying. But if we're going back, we should be prepared. What else did you find out?"

Lisa bites her lip nervously. "Well, there's a hidden room in the basement. It's said to hold some clues about the family's connection to the spirit. I managed to get my hands on an old journal that belonged to one of the Walters or someone there. It describes strange occurrences, visions, and a desperate search for redemption."

Aurabelle's eyes widen. "The book...the book."  Memories unwillingly flood her mind. Things she hasn't thought about in years. One thought was her mother...she read the book. She begins to remember the basement. The basement she avoids at all cost. She doesn't know why. There's always something that keeps her away from it but she doesn't know what.

"So, the answers we're seeking might be in that hidden room?" Sarah asks.

"Exactly. But we have to be cautious. The house is said to have a mind of its own, as if it feeds on fear. People who've entered have experienced hallucinations and felt trapped within its walls." She says. "We should probably bring flashlights, water, a weapon, a book, my dad's camera. Let's document this!"

Lisa steps back and looks at the house. "I have to admit, I'm getting a mix of excitement and dread. It's like stepping into a horror movie. But if there's a chance to uncover the truth and maybe break the curse, it's worth it."

Sarah nods. "We'll go during daylight tomorrow, armed with flashlights, and stick together. We'll document everything we find, take photos, and record any strange occurrences. Safety first. Maybe we can ask Ethan to come with us?"

Lisa rolls her eyes. "Is this a date or-"

"Stop! I don't like him in that way," Sarah calls out. "He's just my best friend."

Lisa rolls her eyes. "Whatever. Fine. He can come."

Sarah nods. "And if things start to feel too threatening or dangerous, we'll leave immediately. No heroics."

"Absolutely. Our safety is paramount. Let's face our fears and uncover the secrets of that haunted house. Who knows, maybe we'll find a way to bring peace to the tormented spirits trapped within."

Aurabelle can see Lisa thought the door for a second. She sees both the girls walking away.

They're coming back tomorrow.  She thinks to herself. As soon as her happiness sneaks in, sadness follows behind it. Some sort of dread. Something in the house doesn't want these girls there.

**

Point out any mistakes. Been a while since I've been writing again.