Chapter 16: The Dark One

"What do you want?" Sarah asks, her voice shaking.

The spirit glides closer to her, Ethan's body dragging along

The spirit glides closer to her, Ethan's body dragging along. Its eerie presence sending chills down her spine. "I want to talk to you," it says, its voice filled with malice.

Sarah's heart races as she looks at the dark figure in front of her. She knows she should be afraid, but something about the spirit's presence is also intriguing. She takes a deep breath and asks, "Who are you and why do you look...familiar?"

The spirit chuckles, a cold sound that makes Sarah shiver. "I have gone by many names in my time, but you can call me The Dark One."

Sarah's eyes widen in fear as she realizes just how powerful and evil this spirit must be. "What do you want with me?" she asks, her voice trembling.

"I have been watching you, Sarah," the spirit says, its dark eyes locked onto hers. "And I know of your connection to your friend Ethan."

Sarah's head leaned to the side out of confusion. "What do you mean?"

"I attached myself to Ethan when he was just a child," the spirit continues, almost braggingly. "He was so full of fear and negative energy, the perfect host for a powerful entity like myself."

Sarah's eyes widen in horror as she realizes what the spirit is saying. It had been feeding off Ethan's fears all these years, growing stronger and more powerful.

"But now, Ethan has grown out of his fears," the spirit says, a hint of annoyance in its voice. "He is no longer a suitable host for me. He likes the thrill. Or he's trying to be braver. He's fighting his fears." The Dark One looks at Ethan's lumped body on the floor.

"Then why are you still here?" Sarah asks, her voice shaking with anger.

The spirit glides closer to her, and Sarah takes a deep breath, trying to steel her nerves. "Because I need your help," the spirit says, its voice low and menacing.

"My help?" Sarah asks, her voice filled with disbelief.

"Yes," the spirit says. "You see, I cannot leave this world without a suitable host. And since Ethan is no longer an option, I need a new host and it must be one with a strong connection to me. And who better than to choose than the friend of my former host?"

Sarah's heart races as she realizes the spirit's plan. It wants one of her friends to become its new host. But she knows she can't allow such evil to take control of her friends..just like her family. "I will never allow that," she says, determination in her voice.

The spirit lets out a cold laugh. "Oh, Sarah, you don't have a choice in this matter," it says. "I have been watching you, and I know you have a darkness inside you. I can feel it, just waiting to be unleashed."

Sarah feels a chill run through her body at the spirit's words. She has always been a good person, but she can't deny that there's a part of her that has always been drawn to the darkness.

"But I also know that you are afraid," the spirit continues, its dark eyes boring into her. "You're afraid of what you could become, of the power you could hold. But you needn't be afraid, Sarah. I can help you unleash that power and together, we can rule this world."

Sarah's heart races as the spirit's words sink in. She knows how strong her connection to the spirit must be for it to even consider her as help. And she knows that if she lets this darkness inside her take control, she could become just as evil as the spirit itself.

"I will not allow my friend to become a vessel for your evil," Sarah says, her voice filled with determination.

The spirit let out a frustrated growl. "You are a fool, Sarah," it says. "But I can't force you to accept your fate. So let me make you an offer. Help me find a new host, and I will let you live."

Sarah's heart drops as she realizes the gravity of the situation. The spirit wants her to become a killer, to help it find a new host by taking innocent lives. But she also knows that if she refuses, it could easily turn on her friend's life and take her life too.

"I will never become a killer," Sarah says, her voice filled with disgust.

"It doesn't have to be that way," the spirit says, its voice laced with false sweetness. "Think about it, Sarah. Together, we can be unstoppable. You will have all the power and control you could ever want. And once we find a new host, I promise I will leave you alone."

"I will not help you take innocent lives," Sarah says firmly. 

"Just like the one you took," the spirit begins laughing. The spirit gives her a dark look before disappearing into the shadows. 

Sarah lets out a shaky breath and falls back onto her bed, her mind racing with the events of the night. She looks over at Ethan, who was sleeping soundly beside her. As she was lost in her thoughts, Ethan suddenly bolts upright, his eyes wide and filled with fear. His body was shaking violently and Sarah knew that something was terribly wrong.

"Ethan?" she asks. "Are you okay?"

Suddenly, Ethan's body goes limp and the room was silent once again. Sarah cautiously approaches him, her heart still racing with fear. She gently shakes him.

But as Ethan's eyes flutter open, the same sinister voice speaks once again.

"This is no place for you" the possessed Ethan says.

But Sarah refused to give in to fear. She knew that the real Ethan was still there somewhere, fighting to regain control. And she was determined to help him.

She stayed by Ethan's side, never leaving him alone. She heard him snoring. Sarah gets up and place a blanket over him. She watches him throughout the night, resting a hand on him. Thinking about how in the world she could possibly make things right.