Chapter 10: Spices and Sweet Reapers

I was honestly fine with leaving them. Blake seemed very grouchy and Willow was no better. I disappeared, zooming through space, and landed in India. Smells of spices greeted me and I wondered if there was a street market type thing going on.

I checked my list. "Name: Aadya." I grinned. What a lovely name. I wandered around a little without Blake breathing down my neck until I saw a woman. She was old, with wispy white hair and beautiful brown skin. I made myself invisible to all but her, and waited until she sat down, alone, near a more deserted part of the market. I couldn't stop gazing at her, because I hadn't yet had someone who'd died merely of old age, and mostly people from Europe.

"You're beautiful," I said.

She looked over at me, taking in my horns and pale complexion. These reapings I enjoyed least, though they were easier. The sudden realization, the quiet acceptance. She didn't flinch as I released her soul from her body. I led her to the court where the Judges of the Underworld stood, and left her.

A new place, a new life. The thing about reaping is that as the person's life flashes before their eyes, it flashes before yours, too. Accumulated memories and life energy is what keeps a reaper smart and alive.

I was in the middle of reaping a soul in the last stages of tuberculosis when I received summons to go to the palace. I had enough time to think oh, no when I was dragged to the palace. The Grim Reaper sat on his throne of obsidian.

"What's up?" I asked, trying to keep my voice light. It sounded depressingly jaunty.

"Where is Blakely?" he asked. "I've been trying to summon her. She isn't answering."

I spread my fingers with what I hoped was an innocent expression. I tried to avoid lying when I could. "I have no idea. But y'know Blake, she's really powerful. Maybe she wanted to resist your summons because she's hunting down the... uhm, half angel girl."

Death almost laughed. I was the only one that could make him almost laugh. "The half angel girl. Your favourite excuse."

"Not an excuse," I mumbled. "She takes her job seriously."

"This is like him all over again," muttered Death. I stiffened. Was he still willing to talk about Gabriel, after all these years?

"You know Blake loves her reaping," I said.

"I should never have sent her after that girl," said Death. "I- I made a mistake."

I gaped. "Uhm..."

"Get Blakely back," said Death. "I don't care if she hasn't finished dealing with that half angel girl. Just get her back."'

I saw the desperation in his eyes. "Yes, sir," I said.

I turned and left without another word.

After finishing my reaping, I sat down by a lake in the mortal word, dipping my feet in the water, and thought about Gabriel. How old must he be now, eleven? I remembered him- rumpled dark hair and dark eyes, just like Blake. But with wings like Death's, large, leathery and black. I think he was the only person Blake loved, the only one that could make her smile.

"Where are you," I muttered. "Where are you, Gabriel? Where did you go?"

My words were whipped away by the wind.

I looked down into the water, my reflection distorted.

I went back home. My mother was out, but my two brothers, who were identical twins, were too young to reap at seven years old.

"Nicco?" I said as one of them barreled into me, squealing.

"No," he said, "Levy."

"Get off," I said jokingly.