Chapter 12: A Bigger Story

I looked over the red-rimmed edge of the horizon. Gold and ruby gleamed in the sky. It was the sort of sight you could see every day and never get tired of. I dipped my toes in the water, looking at my reflection. Dark hair and eyes, and wings folded at my back, large and dragonish. I felt a flash of pain as my reflection seemed to morph, the wings disappearing, the hair lengthening, the face aging. But, in a blink, it was gone.

I couldn't imagine what she must be like, what she was doing now. Probably serving Father. I scowled at the water. She thought she was strong for upholding the family honour. She was just weak.

Sometimes I regretted it, leaving. I'd think about her, think about all the kindness she had shown to me, but hadn't shown anyone else. I was a weak point for her, I knew. She loved me. She hated me. I had left her to do the reaping herself. But when it counted most, we were family. But I had been the one to leave them.

I felt my chest constrict, and sank my hands into my hair, tugging at the roots. "Stop," I said aloud. "Stop. Stop!" I breathed in and out, deeply. Repeated it again.

Don't listen to them, said Zack. Don't listen to the monsters.

"I'm trying not to," I said, very softly.

"Talking to Zack?" came the voice. I didn't have to turn around, peering into the water and glimpsing her rippling reflection. Maria had pale skin, and though her features were ordinary, her eyes weren't. Sapphire-blue, they were feathered by dark, curling lashes. The kind of eyes a woman would kill for. The most beautiful eyes I had ever seen.

"No," I said, knowing that she had seen my lips move.

She smiled, revealing perfectly even, white teeth. "It's not healthy. Gabriel. Guardami."

I reluctantly turned around. Her eyes were even more mesmerising without the undulating water distorting them. "Mmm?"

She held out a shard of mirror. I looked into it. My reflection twisted and warped until a new scene appeared. A twisting, dark labyrinth. The back of the head of a gorgon, vipers twisting and writhing. Two people I didn't know, and her, standing across the lake. A scream of horror, and everything cleared. The events played over and over again.

My lips formed the word Blakely. I looked up. "So?" I said coldly. Even though the mirror's images had been blurred, I knew it was her. You didn't forget the reflection of your sister.

"It seems she will try to get you back," she said. Raising her eyebrows, she looked at me, waiting. When I didn't say anything, Maria said, "Gabriel."

"Are you sure it was her?" I said, deadpan. "It may have been someone else."

"Of course it was her! You recognised her!"

I felt contempt for Blakely burn through my body. "What are you saying?"

"She's come back," she said.

It was a matter of time, I thought. I oughtn't be surprised. I knew that Death wouldn't find me here. But Blakely wasn't Death. She was my blood and bones.

"Isn't it odd? How could she have found us?" Maria shot at me.

"She's smart," I said after a pause. "Maybe she made the connection."

"Death didn't make the connection," she glared.

"Maybe it's something else. Maybe it's the Fates'-"

"Blow the Fates!" Maria raged. "What will we do? What if she reports back to Death, and he has us killed?"

"It didn't say that in the mirror," I said. "The mirror didn't show us."

"It's just one part of a bigger story," said Maria. "Just one slip, and he would have us!"

"He wouldn't kill you," I scoffed. "You're being paranoid. It isn't your time, Death can't act against that."

Maria snarled. "You're his son! If there's anyone that would be safe, it's you! Will you do nothing?"

I felt anger boil inside me. Maria stepped back, and I knew my eyes had gone blood-red. "I ran away from him! I came here, for you! None of this is my fault! I haven't talked to anyone for years! Then again, neither have you. No wonder you've gone batty!"

Maria's face went cold. "You ungrateful child."

I felt the fire become crushed. Suddenly, I felt unbearably young. "I-I-"

Maria stepped up and wrapped her arms around me. "I know."

"I don't want to disappoint you," I mumbled into her hair.

She let go, and turned back to the cave. I breathed a silent sigh of relief.

"Gabriel?"

I swallowed. "Yes?"

"You know what your answer will be, when she comes back to you. You know." Her eyes bored into mine.

"Yes," I said. The second word lingered on my tongue, just out of earshot.

Mother.