Chapter 11 - Ian

I won't lie and say that tonight's game was easy.

Because it sure as hell was a bloodbath. The last two games were not so bad. In fact, they were easy wins in comparison to tonight. Yet, at the last quarter, we're barely ahead. This is the closest game in what might be years, at least according to Coach Wells in his halftime "inspiration speech." A lot of words could be used to describe our middle-aged football coach but motivational isn't always one of them.

Surprisingly, we managed to score one field goal and take that final win. As good as that had felt, I couldn't help but feel a little tense. I brush it away before changing out of my gear and into my shirt and jeans. Once the jacket's on, I walk out of the locker room, slapping hands and bumping fists with my teammates. Braiden meets me outside the locker room and we make our way out to the bleachers, where a lot of people still stand. I head over to the far right corner of the student section as soon as I spot my brother with Jason and an unfamiliar blonde. Must be Jason's girl of the month.

I can't help but notice Derek looking a bit more at ease. Usually, he's a little uncomfortable around PDA but I guess that's not the case anymore. His wandering eyes spot me and wave me over to him. It's not long before Jason notices me.

"Bro, why did you come see us first?" Jason laughs. His arms are wrapped around his girlfriend and his brows are raised. Must be surprised to actually see me there.

"Why wouldn't I?" I ask. It's a routine I've done for a while. Derek always makes sure to attend my games with Jason, while I force BJ to go with me to Derek's volleyball games.

"Honestly, I thought you'd be stopping to see your girlfriend," my brother teases.

My eyes move over to the track. I noticed Attie standing by the track with two other girls at halftime. Actually, I felt it. Her presence. Even when the second half of the game began and I saw her eyes connect with my own just before it began. She's still standing there and I make a mental note to myself to catch up to her before she leaves.

I tousle Derek's hair. "I couldn't leave without acknowledging my cheer squad at least once."

"Ha ha, very funny," he mumbles.

"I'd head back down there if I was you," Jason says. "You know, before Attie gets antsy."

I raise a brow. "I'm surprised you of all people are kicking me out of this little circle." I gesture to the four of us, especially his girlfriend, who has been quiet the entire time I've been around. Huh, she must be shy. "If anything, you're the antsy one here."

"Keep in mind, Bale. You're dating the female version of me." His girlfriend chuckles underneath him. "We're both antsy people. It's in our blood." He makes a fly swatting motion. "Shoo."

"Alright, I'm going," I say, giving Jason the finger. "I'll see you guys at Tyler's bonfire?"

They both nod. I make my way down to the bleachers, past the cheerleaders who are packing their things. I hear Rue call my name but I manage to ignore her and head towards Attie's direction. Her back is turned against me as she's talking to Amy so I try to sneak up behind her and wrap one arm around her waist, unintentionally getting hit with the smell of mangoes.

I hear her gasp just before I lean in to whisper, "it's just me, princess," into her right ear. Whatever tension she had in those two seconds leaves her body as fast as it arrived.

"You could have tapped me in the shoulder first," she whispers back.

"Noted," I mutter. From a distance, anyone else would think that I'm whispering sweet nothings in her ear. And by anyone else, I mean the two blondes in front of us, Amy and Taylor. I nod to them both. "Hey."