Chapter 30 - Ian

I wouldn't call myself an expert surfer bum but I'm familiar enough with the basics. Probably not the best instructor on this side of Santa Barbara but definitely the most willing.

I got Attie to lay on the board, stomach down after a lot of convincing. "Okay, now you need to pop up," I instructed.

Attie raises a dark brow.

"It means to stand up on your board."

She nods and gets up to her feet slowly.

"Okay."

"What did I do wrong?" she asks. "I know I did something wrong."

I shrug. "Nothing."

"Ian, I looked and felt like a floppy seal. Just tell me what I should do."

"Just put your dominant foot forward when you pop up," I advise. "It helps you stay on the board." Ironically, I don't exactly know the physics of it. I'm only taking AP Physics because there was no astronomy class. Sue me.

It takes about Attie an hour to get a full grasp on the basics before I deem her ready to take on the water. Since I don't have an extra surfboard and don't want to cause a hazard, I keep my feet on the shoreline and watch as she grabs the surfboard and steps onto the shore.

"You got this princess!" I shout, cupping my hands over my mouth like a megaphone.

She tries her best to hold onto the board and prevails. Probably isn't the best time to catch some waves but this is the last chance I'll get to go surfing this year. In the two years I've known how, I've learned that October is when the crowds die down and the tides are still great. The water's warmer and it just felt...right.

Attie eventually hops onto the board and starts paddling.

"Don't go too far," I call out.

"I won't!"

Maybe I can do this as a hobby—teaching young kids and tourists how to surf—if this evening goes well. She hasn't been wiped out yet, so I have some hope.

Side note: I spoke too soon.

Attie stands up on the board as soon as a small wave starts to form behind her and she falls back into the ocean.

Shit.

I'm about to dive in and start swimming when her head pops out. Her hair is stuck to half of her face but she pushes away before swimming towards my board and paddling towards me.

"Surfing is a lot harder than it looks in the movies," she admits.

"Are you okay?" I ask, checking for any scratches and bruises she may have acquired from that fall.

"I'm fine," she laughs. "Was I supposed to turn around?"

I nod, laughing.

She passes the surfboard back to me. "Let me see how you do it."

"Today is your day," I say, passing it back to her. "Don't you want to try again?"

"Maybe later but right now, I choose to see how the pro surfs." She pushes the surfboard back into my arms with a sly grin. "Come on, four-eyes. Show me your skills."

"I will when you stop calling me four-eyes, princess. And I'm not a pro."

Both of her brows fly up her face. "Oh really?"

"Yeah." I don't know what I'm getting myself into at this point.

Attie glances at the horizon, where the sun barely begins to set before giving me those sad, puppy-dog eyes. "Please?"