Sacrifice

"Serena let me in!" I shout, banging on the door as the sound of her vomiting echos from inside the bathroom

It's been almost two weeks since her first radiation therapy session and so far she's had ten of them in total, with one more left until she has a consultation to see if it was successful.

I thought the state she was in after the first session was hard to see but the past two weeks have proved me wrong. It got so much worse.

She hasn't been doing too good which is to be expected. 

We're all trying to help, with me helping her do things as simple as showering when she's too weak to do it herself, Harper making Serena her famous soup everyday which is the only thing she can keep down at the moment and we all take turns staying up with her when her body hurts so much she can't even sleep.

The sound of vomiting ceases from behind the bathroom door, only furthering my worry.

"Serena?" I call out, pressing my ear to the door. 

No reply.

"Serena if you don't reply I'm going to kick the door down," I shout. "N-no I'm fine I just can't get up," She cries, her voice laced with pain.

I line my shoulder up with the door, barging into it two times before it bursts open.

She sits on the cold white tile next to the toilet, her face hollow and sweaty.

"Was that really necessary?" She lets out a tired laugh, leaning back against the bathtub.

I want to scold her for locking me out but I feel no anger as I look down at her fragile figure, only the need to care for her.

I walk over to the sink, turning on the hot water and holding a cloth under it. I take it and crouch down in front of her, dabbing her cold skin with the warm flannel.

She closes her eyes, resting her head in my cupped hand.

"Are you tired?" I ask although I already know the answer. She hums sleepily so I pick her up, letting her wrap herself around me as I carry her back out to the bedroom.

I lay her down on the bed, adjusting a pillow behind her head so she's more comfortable before reaching over to her nightstand to grab a glass of water.

I cup her face, placing the glass to her lips and tilting it for her. She takes a few sips before indicating for me stop.

"Thank you," She yawns, leaning back further and snuggling into my side.

I sit leaned against the headboard, stroking her hair as she drifts off. I don't sleep, it being only nine pm but I do stay with her for a good forty minutes until I climb out of bed and head towards the kitchen.

"How is she?" Lucian asks as I come strolling into the living room. 

"Not good," I reply bluntly, running a stressed hand through my hair. I really underestimated how hard the treatment would be on her, as well as the pain she's going through she's also struggling to sleep, eat and even drink water.