Michigan Dogman

Legend has it that there is a half-dog, half-man roaming around parts of Northern Michigan.  Described as a seven-foot-tall monster with a dog's head and the torso of a man. It is also described to have blue or amber eyes with a howl that is said to sound like a human scream.

The first sighting of the Dogman was in Wexford County in the year 1887. A couple of lumberjacks spotted him as they were working. Since then there have been many reported sightings of this creature throughout Michigan though most have been from the northern quadrant.

In 1938 a man was fishing along the Muskegon River when a pack of wild dogs attacked him. He was able to scare most of them away by firing a shotgun into the air. But, one seemed not to be unphased by the firearm and instead stood on its hind legs and glared at the man.

Similar sightings occurred more frequently throughout the 1950s in Allegan County. Then in the 1960s reports of seeing the beast came from Cross Village, Big Rapids and Manistee County.

DJ Steve Cook of Traverse City, Michigan recorded a song in 1987 about the Dogman legend. Though it was supposed to be a prank, after the song's release dozens of calls came in to the radio station of supposed encounters from his listeners. Traverse City filmmaker Rich Brauer and his production company Brauer Productions, Ink. have produced two Dogman films and are in the pre-production phase of their third and final chapter.

Reports still continue to this day while some were hoaxes one must wonder if the Dogman legend is real.