2

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

You're lucky to be here.

Y/n sat completely submerged in a tub of ice and water, gripping the edge of the tub tightly. She came back up gasping for air noticing how her knuckles turned white. Her chest moved up and down as heavy breaths escaped her mouth.

Y/n was currently sitting in an ice bath in the rebull motorhome. Why? Because James thought it would be great for Sean to share an ice bath and spend some 'quality' time with his future teammate.

A few days after the Brazilian debacle, the teams announced Checo's resignation from Red Bull. And of course, James being the impatient asshole and the pretentious asshat that he is, announced that Checo was their new driver for the next season. Being left with no other option Red Bull had to announce their new recruit, aka Y/n.

That being said, the past few days had been really hard for her. She'd been getting a lot of hate regarding how she out of all people shouldn't be joining Red Bull. Of course, y/n tried to ignore the hate but it was starting to get to her.

She glanced at the ice tub that was placed beside her, which she assumed was for her soon-to-be teammate. She took in another deep breath before submerging herself in the ice bath again. She had a certain love-hate relationship with ice baths. Kinda like when you smash a mosquito, and even tho you don't want to look at it, you still need to take a peek at it. Part of the reason y/n hated ice baths so much was her mother. But her mother is also the reason she forces herself to do so.

You're lucky to be here.

She felt the air exit her lungs as her mouth let the bubbles pass. She wanted to come back up, to be able to breathe again. Her mind was telling her to get back up. But she didn't. She couldn't.

You're lucky to be here.

A certain voice rang through her head. The voice she despised. The voice she hated. The voice that pushed her towards overachieving. The voice that ripped her heart apart.

You're lucky to be here.

She felt her legs tremble. Her hands started shaking uncontrollably. She grabbed the edge of the tub to pull herself out, but she just couldn't, no matter how hard she tried. It felt like someone was holding her down. And just like that, she could feel her surroundings go dark.

_________________________________________

"You're lucky to be here you brat!" Y/n felt her mother's tight grip tugging her hair, bringing her head up, finally letting her breath.

"I do so much for you, and still you seem to prefer your father over me!"
Y/n's mother spat out. Before Y/n could catch up on her breath, her mom pushed her head back into the bathtub full of water, keeping her there for a few minutes before bringing her up.

"If it were up to me, you wouldn't even be here! I told your dad I wanted to get an abortion, but he wouldn't listen, he wanted to have you, but look at you, look at how you've turned out. You're a disgrace of a child."

Y/n's childhood was terrible. Well, at least the first half. Unfortunately for her, god seemed to have served her a mother who was a raging alcoholic with the sides of her being a psychotic bitch.

She didn't deserve it. No child ever deserves to go through what Y/n went through.

It was Y/n's dad's turn to have her for the week, and maybe it was the fact that Y/n seemed extremely excited that seemed to have pissed her mother off. Y/n took a mental note to never actually show any display of excitement in front of her mother ever again.