Chapter - 85

Shalini knocked on the door and waited with abated breath not sure if Avni would want to meet her. She hadn't been able to sleep all night. Sahil's face had been a constant and she had been haunted by the day police had brought his body home. Avni's sad, empty eyes full of several unvoiced questions, Shalini hadn't been able to find peace at all. She had thought by making Avni complete her studies and get her to find a job she would be able to appease her conscience but she had been wrong. So wrong. Karan had rattled her sense of righteousness. She had never been able to forgive herself for forcing her son to get married or for destroying Avni's life but she had wanted to atone though without facing the truth. In her arrogance she had ruined both her son and Avni. She had lost Sahil but she still had Avni with her. Never had that girl spoken against her. Never had she uttered a single word of complain. She had always done everything Shalini had ever asked of her so much so she had kept her promise to never tell anybody of Sahil's truth. In her attempt to keep the scorn of relatives and society at bay and protect the carefully built image of her and her family Shalini had never seen how Avni had deteriorated till very late. It was then that she had noticed how quietness had enveloped Avni. She had almost become like an automaton losing weight steadily, the light on her face gone, her confidence defeated, her spirit fragile. There hadn't been any zeal to do anything. That was another reason why she had sent her here away from Ludhiana. Away from people who knew who she was. Away from memories that would never let her move ahead in life. And now that Avni had moved on Shalini had tried to tie her up again. Clip her wings. Why? She should have stood by her and told her it was the right thing to do. When Shalini had lost her husband she hadn't felt the need to get married again for two reasons one she had Sahil with her and two because Sahil had been about fourteen years of age. She hadn't felt the need to bring another father figure in his life. But Avni had no one. She was all alone. Her own mother hadn't let her enter the house because she was a widow and what will people say if she took her in. How will her other sisters get married? Shalini regretted everything. And she wanted to make amends. In the right manner.

Avni opened the door. She hadn't expected to see Shalini standing outside. And her heart went out to the woman who seemed contrite and defeated. She saw the dark circles under her mother in law's eyes and knew she hadn't slept at all. Avni felt guilt rise within her like a bile. She lowered her eyes and opened the door wider. She had just returned after having breakfast with Karan. It was a happy morning. Both Nilakshi aunty and Tej uncle had finally accepted her. But more than that she was happy that Karan and Tej had taken that first step. It was still a long way to go but at least they were trying. She watched the older lady walk in with her head lowered and sit on the bed. Shalini took in a deep breath and looked at Avni. Avni walked and sat before Shalini taking her hands in hers.

"Ma," Avni said slowly, "I know I have hurt you," she said, "a lot. I am so sorry," she said as her voice became wobbly, "I hadn't meant to break my promise to you ma," she said as her tears flowed and she sucked in her breath, "I had never meant to sully Sahil's name like that. When I had told Karan of my marriage and Sahil's death I had refrained from telling him who Sahil was," she said as she lowered her head and cried, "it was a shock for him too...you have to believe me ma. I am really really sorry...I shouldn't have...it was wrong of me and I am ashamed of myself," she said softly unable to go on.

Shalini looked at her hands which Avni held in hers. She smiled sadly even as she felt her eyes fill up with moisture. How had she not seen how selfless this girl was? How forgiving? She even forgave Sahil and her for deceiving her. And yet Shalini hadn't been able to understand her. She recalled the words she had hurled at the young girl who sat before her crying and apologizing for her mistakes. Shalini shook her head then took in a deep breath to control her emotions that were threatening to overtake her completely. Shalini gripped the hands tightly in hers and shook Avni a little.