Wattpad Original
There are 25 more free parts

Ch. 1: Lessons in Magic

Firestars burst in the black sky overhead, sending showers of golden light on top of the awed crowd below. For many invited to the party, this was the first time they'd ever seen such a spectacle. I had seen many before, but the boom and bright lights always drew a gasp of delight from me.

"Papa," I called out when I spied my father talking to the Minister of Finance.

He looked very bored, but then I would be bored too if I had to talk to the old Brownie for any length of time. It didn't matter that I was only six. He never could seem to find a topic of conversation that didn't somehow turn to money or numbers.

"My little Death goddess," Papa said with a delighted smile before scooping me up and setting me on his hip.

Well, at least, I thought he was smiling. I frowned and squinted harder at Papa's face. He was so blurry, and all his features ran together. His tone suggested he was happy to see me, but no matter how I tried, I could not make him out. Not even the Minister was clear. Perhaps something was wrong with my vision. Had a firestar singed my eyes?

"Hasn't she grown?" Papa asked the Minister.

"Yes, yes. But I do believe that is what little elves tend to do. They become big elves."

"I will be as big as Mara one day."

"Perhaps even bigger," Papa said, tapping my nose. "You're already taller than she was at your age. Ah, look. Here she comes with your mother."

I twisted in his arms to get a better look. Two figures parted the crowds. Everyone bowed, and a few inched away as if afraid to touch–or be touched–by the women. But they were just like Papa. Without definition. If only they would get closer...perhaps then–

Cold water sloshed over my face, drawing me out of my deep sleep, and I shot upright with a screech. The Winter Woman, whose name I'd learned was Kuga, set the now empty bucket to the ground and watched me with a neutral expression.

"Was that necessary?" I spluttered, leaning over the small cot to wring out my shift.

"I warned you during our last session that there would be consequences for your tardiness. This is a gentle warning. You do not want to find out what will happen next time."

She spun on her heel and exited the small tent I occupied. Through the thin cloth, I could see the outline of her reed thin figure waiting on the other side. Dressing with haste to keep her from coming back inside, I opted for my old leather trousers and tunic instead of one of the lavish gowns that had been supplied for me. A ripe odor wafted from the top, but I donned it anyway. They could deal with a little stench if they insisted on holding me prisoner.

"You are foolish," Kuga said when I joined her. Her black eyes raked over me from head to toe. "Go back and change."

"No."

The word stuck in my throat, almost choking me. It had been weeks since I left behind the girl whose only concern in life was to stay safe, but from time to time, she broke through. Becoming someone new was not so simple as wanting to be different.

Kuga's stringy hair fluttered in the breeze as she weighed my refusal carefully. Then she shrugged and resumed walking. It was difficult to keep pace with her. Her frail appearance hid a woman of remarkable strength. Discovering that had not been comforting.

"Just like that?" I asked before I could stop myself. She was right. I was foolish. Only someone foolish would want to know why she'd gotten her way.

"No. I decided this was not my place. I do not care if you strut around the encampment without clothes, but the king does. The prince does. Like your tardiness, your refusal to wear what they have provided will have consequences."