𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 • 𝐚𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐧

I stare into Cara's soft blue eyes, taking note of her hesitant body language

I stare into Cara's soft blue eyes, taking note of her hesitant body language. Her freckles are also crazy this time of year—dotting her face like a chocolate chip cookie. They suit her well, though; they always have.

"I don't even know what should be the first step," Cara admits, pouting her pink lips just the slightest.

"Well, let's start with a couple of boundary things," I suggest and she nods. "What are you hoping will happen on this date?"

She takes a moment to think, looking away. "I just want to figure out whether or not I actually like her."

"How do you want to figure that out? Just by spending time with her? Asking questions? Or do you want to see if being physical would give you clarity?"

"Like kissing?" she whispers as if kissing a girl is completely unheard of. Maybe for her, I suppose. I nod in response and she says, "Well, I mean, I don't know. If I know by the end of the date that I like her, then maybe I will want to kiss her."

"Okay, good to know."

After a short pause, Cara furrows her brows and leans back a bit. "You're not planning on, like, teaching me how to kiss, are you?"

When I fully comprehend her question, I just give her a little chuckle. "Not unless you want me to," I joke and she shoves me slightly.

"What do I do if she flirts with me?" she asks.

"Well, I think first of all, you need confidence." I readjust my crossed legs and get a little more comfortable. "If she tells you something simple like complimenting your outfit or your scent, just compliment her back. But if she says something a little more suggestive, like inviting you back to her place, then just be direct with your answer. Whether you say yes or no, be sure of yourself and what you want. I think confidence is probably the most attractive thing in a girl."

Cara nods, seeming to take it all in as I explain. I'm not sure that I'm even the right person to be helping her, especially since I have an ex I can't seem to get over right now, but she was clearly desperate enough to ask me, of all people.

"Basically," I continue, "You'll just want to give her the same energy that she gives you. If you freeze up sometimes, it's fine—that's normal. But you'll need to get out of your comfort zone a little if you want this date to go anywhere."

"Like how?"

I pause, biting the inside of my cheek while I try to think of an example. "Like, going out of your way to let her know you're interested. Touch her arm, play with her hair, whisper in her ear. You know?"

"That sounds like a lot more than I'm capable of."

I roll my eyes. "You're just in your head too much. Just try it with me real quick."

Cara's cheeks burst into a deep red hue as she imagines trying to flirt with me. "Aspen, I—"

"Oh, don't be so weird about it, Jasper," I tell her, waving her off. "Just go for it."