Duke Hawthorne

Coal black hair swept back to rest in places that defy gravity, midnight blue eyes, and a sculpted face and body that would make Greek artisans and painters of the Renaissance drool, sits right before me. I'm cringing at my own inner remarks but if I thought Duke Storm was incredible, then this man screams male lead perfectionism.

He continues to stare back in quiet contemplation of my lack at frivolity, and I blink away the wonderment that's been swimming in my head. This man is Hawthorne, and I need to remind myself that this dashing Duke is the reason why Evara loses her reputation, throwing it away to chase a man who refuses her at all costs.

"I thank you, your grace," I said cooly, averting my gaze to ask a servant to pour me another cup of tea.

"I wished to impart my sympathies for the tragedy that befell you, Miss Storm."

Narrowing my eyes into slits, I let my anger simmer with the steam rising in my cup. "I believe you are several days too late, Duke Hawthorne. And I made it adamantly clear to the household that I do not wish to entertain guests. I am merely here today to honour my father's wishes, should you assume otherwise."

He might not have liked Evara but to visit her only after she's skirted death seems cruel. Was she not even worth the time and energy to grieve over and be worried about while she was at death's door?

"Evara," Duke Storm said sternly, but behind the moustache twitches a small grin.

Duke Hawthorne looks more bemused than regretful. "I see. If the visit has been a hindrance to your recovery, then it is an insensitive oversight. Raven and I only wanted to clear matters up with his grace present."

Sighing, I raise a hand to massage a temple. "If you believe I am under the impression to sue or make a fuss for my accident, then rest assured your grace, that isn't the case. In fact, I can speak openly in my father's presence since he can corroborate what I'm about to tell you. That I have lost partial amounts of my memory and do not even remember what happened when I drowned."

Silence falls awkwardly over the occupants of the room. Duke Storm aggrieved, Raven blinking with his mouth formed into an 'Ooohhh' and Hawthorne processing my words without a reaction. "Be as it may, the incident took place on Hawthorne grounds during the hunting competition. Surely, you realise that I cannot simply let the matter rest until I am made aware of all the facts."

"And I've just told you what the facts are, Duke Hawthorne. And should you insist otherwise would be to turn me into a hostile hostess in the presence of Duke Storm. The fact is, I do not remember and it would be futile to extract anything further from me. Now, if you'll excuse me. I must leave you, gentlemen."

Please, I think I just made Jane Austen proud.

Rising, I offer a clumsy curtesy and turn with my head held high in a flourish of fabrics and lean against the door on the other side. Good looking and pompous. Evara, sis. You've got bad taste in men.

Still feeling ruffled, I walk down the halls and into the open air. A walk through the gardens should clear my head and leave that unsettling encounter behind me. The grounds of the garden are massive, and according to Arin, if you dare to venture deep enough, you'll be lost for hours with only flowers for company but that's exactly what I want.

"Miss Storm."

Ergh. Not him again.

Swerving, I say nothing but glare at Duke Hawthorne. Everything inside of me screams to duel with the man.

"You've changed," he commented drily, lowering his gaze to take note of my features from his towering height above six feet. No seriously, men like him simply do not exist. And he's merely exhibit A of how I'm trapped in a fantasy world.

"Excuse me?" I spluttered, colouring from a mixture of embarrassment and dread. Does he know who I am?

"You used to..."

"What? Be obsessive and cruel?" I demanded acidly, placing my hands on my hips and notice the Duke following every one of my movements.

He doesn't refute either but the amusement in his eyes is proof enough that he never thought Evara would ever admit as much. "Yes."

"Well, thank you for your kind sentiments, your grace. I am pleased to say that you'll never have to worry about my unwanted presence from here on out."

"Miss Storm..."

"Lady Storm, if you please. Our positions call for formality, and if I have acted outside the bounds of decorum prior to today then I beg your forgiveness and wish to put the past behind us. Thank you for your concern and I wish you enjoy the remainder of your visit."

"Wait, I—"

Sighing in exasperation, I have to force myself not to stomp back. "What is it, your grace?"

"As much as you think our interactions will end, I must tell you that the reason for my visit is to inform both you and the Duke that your drowning was no accident."

My skin goes cold and the blood from my head evaporates. "What you're imply is...."

"Murder, Miss Storm. Someone tried to kill you."

Erm. That wasn't in the book.