Chapter 2 -1460 "Battle of Wakefield"

Richard (eventual King of England)

I wake and my first thought is that we are running. And I forget even from what.
I have gone from being bundled about with nurses, my father and my mother, there but never about, to living with my aunt, and now to running once more. It was always talk of the royals coming. But with my aunt there was toys and books and my mother could visit me now that's no more.
The last time I see my father he doesn't bid me farewell. It's simply telling us small children to go with our mother.
"Hold onto your brother," He says, patting my shoulders, "Don't get under foot. I'll meet them in the north and we'll fight. It'll all be fine."
My mother doesn't share his confidence.
"You and George will go to Burgundy, to their court," my mother says, curling her cold hands about mine.
"But why do we have to go if Father's going to win?" George asks, hand in mine all the same. We've ridden to the coast now. I have a new riding coat for this but I was only allowed to bring my prayer book.
"Because I will not lose all my sons to the Lancasters," she says, kissing my forehead, then his, "Now be good Georgie. Look out for your brother. My beautiful boy."
"I will," George says.
"I've booked you passage, the Duke of Burgendy will shelter you," my mother says, putting a hand through George's hair. We have our bags and a couple of servants. Little else. No books. No no fine clothes. Little food. No books.
The wind blows fiercely across the channel, chilling me to the bone despite my new cloak.
"Richard, look at me, mind your brother," my mother says, inspecting my face, "All right?"
"Yes, lady mother," I say, softly.
"You'll be home soon," she says, studying us one more time.
"Why isn't Anne going if it's so dangerous?" George asks. Our sister has been standing behind our mother this whole time, with her ladies. She's not one of our mother's ladies but she's usually home.
"Because she cannot, now hush, sweet thing," my mother says, petting George's head again.
"It's an adventure, Boar," Anne winks at me. I wink back. I know why she's not going she's having a baby she told me women having babies don't travel. She's grown large but her skirt mostly hides it. Mostly. George may not know I try not to talk to him.
"But father will win, won't he?" George asks, quietly.
"No, pet, good men do not always win," our mother says tenderly, "Now, take your brother's hand, look out for each other."
"But how do we find you if something happens? If we need to come and rescue you?" I ask, frowning.
"You're not to rescue anyone. You're to survive. It's all we can do, stand up straight now, stop slumping," my mother sighs. She kisses George's cheeks then, kneeling on the muddy dock even in her good skirts.
"Be safe my precious one."
"Yes, lady mother," he whispers, tears in his eyes. He's her favorite.
"Boar, look into my eyes," my mother says, tipping my chin up. "When a thought crosses your mind. When you even think of doing or saying something. I want you to remember this one command and hear my voice: Don't."
I nod.
"Don't," she says.
I nod, raising a hand slowly.
"I'm going to regret this—yes?" My mother sighs, rubbing her face. Anne looks like she's going to laugh.
"Should we not have weapons? I think weapons should be involved here. One of us should at least have a dagger, me, not George I'm one of us but I think that might be important to what we're going through, I'm very responsible, it's an important part of who I am, being responsible," I say.
"I'm older," George says.
"Which is why kidnappers wouldn't expect me to have it," I whisper.
Our mother has her hand over her face this whole time.
" 'Don't'? " I guess, "See? You didn't have to say it I'm very good with directions, this is why my tutors say I'm a delight."
"Boar?"
"Yes?" I smile.
Anne is laughing now.
"Never mind. George, thank you for watching him. No, Boar, you will not be getting anything sharp I want George back in one piece."
"Jesus, mum," Anne laughs.
"So are you aware he's annoying or do you not believe the bit about me being a pleasure for my tutors?" I ask, hand still raised.
She boxes my mouth which I did expect but I thought it was a fair question. Anne smirks a little. She knows George is annoying. He's not a bad brother but he's simply annoying.
"Come here, Boar, look at me, you be good now, and we'll all be together soon," Anne says, kneeling and taking me into her arms and hugging me to her pillowy chest and belly. She presses her hand firmly into my palm. I feel the smooth blade of a knife. I smile. She does too.
My mother meanwhile embraces and fusses over George. I'm not sure if her ceasing spoiling him might help his personality but it's worth the try.
"We will come home though won't we?" I ask. We often move. I know that. I know it's because of the fighting.
"I don't know," Anne says, putting a hand through my curls, "We'll see. Either way you're going to be very very brave, and you and your brother will make it. Why?"
"Because we're Yorks. And Yorks are tough," I say, quietly.
"Right, we're tough," Anne kisses my cheek.
I hide the knife under my cloak, grateful for the cold metal in my hand. I'm strong. I can cut someone who tries to hurt us.
"Hold onto each other now, and pray we'll see each other again soon," our mother says, touching both of our heads gently, "Now go."
"Come along," a couple of our servants usher us with them. We're dressed like commoners. I don't like it. I don't like any of it.
"Are you crying?" George asks, looking over at me.
"A little," I don't wipe the tears away I'm still holding the knife.
"It's an adventure, like mum said. And father will kill all the Lancasters soon and we'll get to come home," George says.
I look out at the troubled dark sea. What home? We've lived with our aunt I liked that best. But I'm almost old enough to be a knight. Or to learn anyway.
"Look, see if you can see sirens," George says, going to the edge of the dock. Our servants are mingling, doing as they're told and watching us but little else. George is eleven so he's almost old enough to be in charge. In theory. I don't think I'm terribly clever. It's not that I truly believe I'm smart. It's that I know for a fact George isn't. He's dumb. I read better than him and I read more Latin than him and I'm not that good at it.
"You're not meant to see sirens, you don't want to. They call you to your death," I say, coming to the edge, "Also they're not real, that's made up."
"You don't know that," he says, still staring off at the water.
"I do actually it's pretty well known, it's, we do know that," I say, nodding.
"You're still crying," he says, reaching out to pinch my cheek.
"We're going so far away from home," I sigh.
"Mum will send for me soon she loves me, she said so. And you're with me ," George says.
"You're a wonderful brother," I say, mostly sarcastically.
"Thank you. Why what do you think is going to happen?"
"No one will send for us or anything, and I'll become a great knight in Europe and eventually raise enough men to lead an army to take back York, and I'll be the greatest warrior in the whole world ever, and they'll tell stories about me," I say, quietly. Greatest warrior after the old King Henry who took France. We're not going anywhere near Agincourt I did check, but I do want to go and pay homage. I am not going to be allowed to do that now I'm aware.
"Where am I in all this?" George asks.
"I'm probably going to leave you in Burgundy to marry well to be honest. My road requires much hardship and frankly you whine a lot," I say.
"If I marry rich that's all right then," he nods, "And then I'd not have to look after you."
"Obviously. I'll come back for you once I've got my army and fortune," I say.
"We'll do that. If mum doesn't send for us," he says.
"Do you think Father will win?" I ask. They talk to him more because he's older. "The Lancasters have a big army people said."
"What people?"
"I don't know Georgie I'm listening at doors," I say.
"I don't do that."
"I know."
"You don't invite me to do that."
"I know."
"Why not?"
"It's on purpose I don't specifically want to be around you."
"I don't want to be around you either."
"Then why did we get here in the conversation?" I ask.
"I don't know where were we?" He frowns.
"Will father win d'you think?" I ask.
"Of course he will. Father's smart, and he's got our brothers, and he's got King Henry captive. And the Lancasters don't have as many men mother says, and they're stupid," he assures me, "Father will beat them. Easy."