Twenty-Six: ̶M̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ Tatum Knows Best

Potential trigger warning this chapter for severe health issues with a parent.

This chapter and the two following are a bit sadder than usual, but rest assured (spoiler warning) no one dies.

●・○・♥︎・○・●

As soon as Tatum walked into her mother's room at the hospital a couple of days later, she knew something was wrong.

It was something about the look her Mom gave her when she walked in.

It was the way the doctors looked at her on the way in.

But something couldn't be wrong. The doctors told them a couple of days ago that there was a heart available and that it was likely that it would go to Eliza. There were always cases where the person at the top of the list got bumped, but that couldn't be the case here. They had the money saved up and they had the insurance. They had to be next.

It was finally their turn, wasn't it? Tatum wouldn't have to stress anymore about her Mom. Her Mom would be healthy. Her Mom was going to get a heart transplant and never have to worry again. It was what she had been holding onto for years. They had waited so long for this. They were going to be okay. Weren't they?

"What's wrong?" Tatum asked knowingly, watching her mother carefully.

"Honey..." Eliza trailed off, eyes shutting briefly. "The surgery might not be happening."

It was like someone ripped the rug out from underneath her hearing those words. It just didn't make sense. Her mother had been waiting for a heart. They waited for years. She finally was at the top of the list. She was sick and needed it desperately. They had a heart available. They had the means so fund the surgery. They had doctors at the ready. Tatum couldn't wrap her head around it. There was no reason that she should have to wait a second longer.

"They said days ago that there was a heart available," Tatum pointed out instantly. "What? Did it just disappear?"

"I..." her mother said tiredly, throwing a hand up.

Tatum shook her head. "No, we've waited long enough. This is not happening."

With that, Tatum stormed out of the room. She heard her mother calling after her, but she refused to let this happen. This would not be their reality. Things were getting better for Tatum. Life was working out the way she wanted it to. This was her Mom. This was her person. This was her only person. It had always been just Tatum and her Mom. She couldn't even stomach the idea of having to imagine what her life would look like without her. But if her Mom didn't get this heart... Tatum felt sick just thinking about it.

Tatum marched down the hall, glancing into every room to try and find Doctor Porter. Her eyes landed on the whiteboard, clenching her jaw when she saw several openings that would allow them sufficient time to perform the surgery. There was no reason they shouldn't be prepping her right now. Her anger only flared before finally spotting the doctor down the down by the elevators.

"Hey, Doctor Porter!" Tatum called out, rushing down the hall.

"Tatum," the doctor greeted formally, as if anticipating the conversation that was about to take place. "How can I help you?"

"Seriously? How can you help me?" Tatum asked incredulously. She knew she was being unprofessional, but she didn't care. When it came to her mother, all bets were off. "What's going on? There's a heart available, a team ready, and a patient at the top of the list. Why don't I see a surgery on the whiteboard?"