54 - General Estella

Rosalin's Point of View

We've been found out.

What can even live out here other than demons? No, I assume that confirms that it's a demon.

I glance to Mia, who is still frozen in shock, and turn on soul sight to look in the direction of the voice, just to confirm my suspicion, and it really is a demon.

But it looks properly human proportioned, rather than monster-like ones we usually see, reminding me eerily of the soul of that butterfly. Though, rather than bothering any ghosts, it's just sitting down. There's a few goblins in there as well, but they're just standing still in a line a bit away from her. I usually don't use soulsight near the others, but perhaps I should have before we entered. I ended up trusting Mia's visions too much. I have to remember that at least one of the gods want to change the world from the usual paths.

I press my lips together, and then notice moving red dots all around us... not in this house, but what I assume to be in other mansions around us. If it's the houses around us too... then is this entire city filled with demons?

But if it is, then why haven't they come out and tried to kill us?

I think back to the goblin in the forest, with its little bowtie and basket of tea leaves. Do they just not want to?

No, more importantly, if they clean the places up this well, and live here, then why don't they repair the furniture or buildings?

Also... I heard two different voices... so did one of them belong to the goblin? but the goblin I met in the forest couldn't talk. At least not properly.

"Wallis?"

I quickly turn off soul sight, and look to Claudius looking questioning at Wallis. Wallis puts a finger to his chin thoughtfully, before whispering out a response, like he's worried about being heard.

"As I see it, there are two easily plausible reasons. The original vision didn't include Rosalin and Tristan, and Seid didn't descent to the earth. It's possible Seid himself has changed the fate and not given Mia an updated vision."

Claudius looks dissatisfied, but just closes his eyes for a moment like he's thinking about what to do. Depending on the strength of the demon, we might be in trouble. No... if all those red dots I saw with soul sight are demons... then we're in more than a little bit of trouble if we want to continue.

Mia snaps her head to the side to stare at me with eerie wide eyes and having an expression that tells me she could kill me right now. Not from anger... but fear. Like an injured animal about to lash out at you. I can't help but to instinctively jolt, because more than any animal, it reminds me of when we got a surprise visit from the cops because I accidentally screamed during one of my physical punishments.

I avert my eyes, trying to avoid triggering her, but Theodore shifts. I can't tell whether he reacted to Mia's mood, or to my worry, but Theodore moves his hand to his sword, and the popup triggers. I quickly reach out and grab his hand as discretely as possible.

"Don't," I whisper under my breath, and thankfully, Theodore stops properly.

Claudius finally opens his eyes, and loosens part of his armor. Probably a stress response.

"We will go. If it can talk, we really will be in more trouble if we try to run." Claudius states. He takes Mia's hand firmly and looks into her eyes calmly. "We will be fine. It's not your fault." He waits until Mia, somewhat unwillingly nods, and then squeezes Mia's hand before heading into the hallway where the voice came from.

Mia glances down the other wing of the hallway for a brief moment, but then rips her gaze from it like her world is falling apart.

At least, if it's a demon, then I should be able to control it, right? With them being undead...