2 - ᴛʜᴇʀᴇᴀꜰᴛᴇʀ

- ᴅᴇᴄᴇᴍʙᴇʀ 1ꜱᴛ, ꜰʀɪᴅᴀʏ

*ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴘᴏɪɴᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴠɪᴇᴡ*

ʀɪɴɢ! ʀɪɴɢ! ʀɪɴɢ!

tossing and turning on my uncomfortable mattress, i am slowly pulled out of sleep by the blare of my alarm clock. reluctantly, i peeled my eyes open and scavenged for my phone through the mass of blankets while the alarm persisted and didn't plan on stopping anytime soon without my saying so. "there you are..." finally, i was able to fish my device out from a random spot on my bed and stop the irritating reminder that i had work today.

i then tore the warm blankets off of my body, exposing me to the harsh and cold air. i shivered. groaning slightly, i hop off the mattress and start my morning routine by brushing my teeth, making myself a small breakfast to get me by until lunch which i already premade yesterday, and then got dressed in my work uniform. by the time i was finished, i was already feeling lethargic and tempted to sleep for a few more minutes, but i couldn't.

i promised reina ito that i would cover her shift today. the worst part of it all is that i have to work tomorrow as well, as originally planned, so i'm working back to back shifts. fuck. i knew that would come and bite me in the ass.

briefly glancing at my phone's lock screen once more, my eyes widened. that...couldn't be right. i thought i would have plenty of time to get ready, but now i'm late?! i knew i can be a bit blind to time, but this is just something else. "fucking perfect." i muttered.

in a frantic rush, i scrambled around my apartment and grabbed my keys off the counter which now dangled anxiously from my hand as i dashed towards the front door, barely managing to slip into my shoes. the clock was ticking mercilessly.

i pulled open the front door, hurried out, and then locked it behind me, desperately trying to salvage what was left of my 'punctuality' (aka the exhausting customer service front to appear cheery and wanting to be at work, though all of us are only there to be paid, so we can sustain ourselves).

as i hurried down the hallway of the apartment building my eyes were directed downward to the rugged carpet—there was a cell phone lying on the ground. ringing. seemed forgotten, abandoned, and out of place. though, the object was dated. it is a flip phone. could it be a burner phone? nah, that couldn't be it. some people just don't have enough money to buy a more expensive one is all. i sighed.

my conscience nudged me to pick it up and so i did, thinking someone must be frantically searching for it. it'd be the same way if i lost my phone too...

"o...kay?" my eyebrows furrowed. if i don't run into the person in the reception area or the parking lot, then i'll just have to drop the phone by the lost & found after my shift. clutching the flip phone a little tighter, i hastened my steps and went down a few flights of stairs to get to the reception desk.

no one was there.

"that's weird...sato is usually down here." i chewed on my bottom lip, trying to think of a reason for his absence. it was too late for a break— whether that be for recreation or lunch— so maybe he just needed to use the restroom? either or, this did throw one of my options of returning this phone to its rightful owner in the trash.

struggling slightly, i left my apartment building and made a beeline for toward the rather dark parking lot.

as soon as i stepped outside, i couldn't be surprised when i found that the sky felt laden with anticipation as the impending rain prepared to cascade from the brooding, overcast heavens. "i should've brought an umbrella..." i whispered. japan's weather during its rainy season is unpredictable. there can be heavy rain and storms at any time, though days can pass without a single drop of rain. i just hope it's the ladder. i'd hate to get my clothes wet, but it was too late to go back now to grab my umbrella. i'll just have to endure the consequences, no matter what form the punishment may come in.

a bit disheartened, i slowly walked down the front steps only to stop once i reached the bottom of them. there seemed to be a figure moving strangely in the dim light. "hm..." i hummed, a bit skeptical as i now, more slowly, moved toward my vehicle.

when i was able to get beside my car, i moved my eyes to the figure once more. they were low to the ground, muttering inaudible frantic comments. were they...looking for something? this must be the owner of the lost phone. "just my luck. it had to be some freak." i rolled my eyes and, after taking a deep breath, abandoned the side of my car. squinting, i approached him, cell phone in hand. "excuse me, did you drop something?"

the stranger immediately straightened out. still, i couldn't make a detail out of their face other than their long hair. "y...yes..." he quietly admitted, almost sheepish. his voice is raspy and smooth. it wasn't so much nails on a chalkboard but rather calming and a bit ominous. "it, uh, was my phone," he continued. "it's very important to me. you don't have it, do you?" he quickly asked, laced with urgency.

he sounded so familiar, but i can't bring myself to place my finger on it. if only i could see his face, that would be helpful. maybe it's just déjà vu.

silently, i extended the device towards him, "is this your phone?"

the man, almost imperceptible in the dim light, nodded gratefully. "thank you," he mumbled, his voice barely audible. i couldn't help but wonder why he seemed so elusive, something about his demeanor felt off...or that's what my gut was telling me anyway. still: i don't have the time to stand here and dissect the man. "you are...very kind."

"i try to be." i laugh off his compliment, awkwardly scratching the back of my neck. praise was just something i never took well. better be humble than egotistical. "well," i briefly averted my gaze. "i'm glad i was able to find you and give you your phone." it felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.

"likewise." he agreed.

well, i didn't expect much of a reply. wasn't much to talk about, but there was an unidentified tension between us that left my heart heavy and worrisome. "i should get going..." i spoke up, glancing back at him to offer him a fleeting smile. "have a wonderful day, alright?" with a small wave, i shuffled awkwardly to my car.

the engine roared to life as i sped away, leaving the mysterious man behind. not to mention that i couldn't shake off the feeling that today was bound to be an unusual day.

and as i drove off to work, little did i know that my seemingly kind gesture had inadvertently entangled me with a figure i couldn't see clearly—deepening my relationship with someone who had been lurking in the shadows, observing my every move.