Chapter 5

Darkpaw woked up from his warm nest and saw beetlepaw passing by with some moss.

"Beetlepaw, what are you doing? Aren't you gonna train with darksoul?"

Beetlepaw looked embarrassed, but she dropped her mossball to answer.

"Darksoul did take me to practice hunting, but I accidentally chased a mouse into riverclan territory and fell into a river."

Darkpaw stiffled a mew before Beetlepaw continued.

"Sadly, a riverclan patrol was nearby and had to save me, and they got mad at me for stealing prey."

Of course, the fish eaters had to be cruel to Beetlepaw.

"Well, have you seen Raccoonpaw?"

According to some cats, Raccoonpaw was the weakest of them three, and he was worried for his brother.

"Last time I saw him, he was practicing how to fight with Chippedclaw."

Darkpaw sighed, then got up from his nest to go and find Lionstar.

"Well, you're awake now darkpaw let's go and explore the territories, and then we'll practice fighting."

Darkpaw nodded and followed Lionstar out of the camp.

Soon after, darkpaw was staring at the windclan border.

" As you can see, darkpaw, this is the windclan border recognize their scent, and Mark our border."

As darkpaw started to leave a scent marker, he saw a cream colored she cat rush with a delicious smelling herb clamped in her mouth.

Lionstar noticed her exclaiming.

"Hey, your mudheart's new apprentice, right? Stocking up cat mint for leaf bare, I see."

The cream, she cat nodded with respect and dropped her herb for a bit.

"My name is daisypaw, and yes, I am preparing for leafbare."

Darkpaw immediately knew how to tell daisypaw from her clanmates. She had long creamy hair and a white as snow underbelly with frosty eyes and long legs.

"Well, I better get these herbs back to mudheart so we can prepare mistypaw already has a cough."

Lionstar looked terrified.

"But mistypaw is always energetic. I don't see her being weak enough to get a cough."

Daisypaw rolled her eyes a bit

"You'd be surprised."

Daisypaw then picked up her herbs and ran off.

"Lionstar, she's not clan born. How can you still treat her as if she's clan born and not a rouge?"

Lionstar, look at darkpaw for a second, and beckoned him with his tail.

"Darkpaw long ago, a great warrior once said,' a true warrior isn't someone who's clan born but someone who's willing to fight for others.'

Darkpaw looked back to the windclan border and thought for a second.

'A Rouge will always be a Rouge'

Lionstar and darkpaw both kept walking until they reached the border between riverclan and ThunderClan

"Darkpaw, this is the border of between ThunderClan and riverclan. Each one has their own scent. Remember it."

A fast warrior passed by with a dead mouse, and a fish both clamped in his jaws.

"Ahh, hello, robinfeather, I see froststar has you hunting."

This warrior was none other than robinfeather, the new warrior from when darkpaw was a kit.

"Froststar is dead. Fishstar is the new leader, and our new deputy is Dusttail."

Lionstar seemed to grieve for the fallen leader and continued with robinfeather.

" So robinfeather, how is tigerfrost, and why don't you hide your prey for later?"

Robinfeather seemed to be annoyed with Lionstar

"Tigerfrost is fine, and Fishstar said if I catch enough prey, he might trust me with my own apprentice."

Lionstar seemed more interested, but he knew darkpaw wanted to continue on.

Robinfeather then picked up his prey and ran off.

Darkpaw called robinfeather a fish eater since he clearly had no respect for Lionstar.

They carried on, but a rabbit dashed by.

Lionstar went into the hunters crouch and waited for a moment before pouncing onto the rabbit.

"See, darkpaw, that's how you catch a rabbit now. Let's see your hunters crouch."

They kept practicing on how to hunt different types of prey until sun down.

"Well, darkpaw, you did quite well."

Lionstar's mew was full of praise.

Darkpaw felt proud of his catches. He was able to catch a frog and a shrew on his thir attempt to hunt.

"Let's get back to the camp and put our prey in the fresh-kill pile, then you can have something to eat."

Darkpaw nodded and padded after Lionstar as he traveled to the camp.

Darkpaw dropped his fresh-kill into the pile and headed towards his sister with a thrush in his mouth.

"And Vineflight started complaining how Firepaw isn't doing things correctly and that applekit, frostkit, and woodkit should be apprentices."

Beetlepaw never understood elders, but once she becomes an elder, maybe she'll understand.

Raccoonpaw was dozing off by Firepaw before she spoke.

"I hear new apprentices might be made next moon, and blackpelt is dropping hints that I might get my warrior name soon.

As the apprentices talked, Shrewleaf ran by with a ball of moss filled with water.

"SOMEONE GET MAPLENOSE OR TOADPOOL HAZELFLOWER IS HAVING HER KITS."

Maplenose was sitting by the fresh-kill pile before she ate a mouse quickly and ran to the medicine den.

Toadpool rushed by with some herbs while Maplenose came with a herb clamped in her mouth.

The wailing of Hazelflower could be heard from the other side of camp.

Soon, darkpaw finished his meal and went into the den to sleep, knowing how long kitting could go on for.

Around moon high, a soft nose was poking darkpaw, and it was Firepaw.

"Hey, darkpaw Hazelflower had her kits, and she had two she cats and a tom."

Darkpaw purred at the idea of new kits. ShadowClan was growing quickly, and soon darkpaw and his littermates might be required to have mates.

Darkpaw shook his head at that idea and rose up to see if he could visit the new kits.

As darkpaw approached the nursery, he smelled the familiar scent of milk and warmth.

Hazelflower was grooming her kits.

One kit had sleek ginger fur like hazel flower but had a beautiful white tail tip.

The other one had fur similar to bonefur while the last one had red fur.

"Hello, darkpaw, these kits are ShadowClan's new warriors. Meet icekit, petalkit, and redkit."

Darkpaw saw the future in these kits, but a familiar scent hit darkpaw's throat.

It wasn't the pleasant nursery scent. Darkpaw left the nursery and smelled the scent again, but it was stronger. Darkpaw saw a familiar pelt.

Darkpaw felt himself get thrown onto a nearby rock and saw robinfeather standing in front of him.

Robinfeather breathed in before shouting.

"RIVERCLAN ATTACK."