|11| wedding

VAIBHAV

The wedding ceremony, was planned to be held at Ajay Uncle's house, in his garden.

He wanted his daughter to get her Vidaii from his own house, not from any marriage hall or any hotel.

He expressed a desire to revisit those memories whenever he missed his daughter. According to him, he couldn't be with Nidhi and couldn't care for her as much as he should have.

Whole house, was decorated from lights and fresh flowers, to welcome Nidhi-my soon to be wife.

I was inside the changing room, preparing for the big day.

Aadarsh took charge of the decorations for my room. This time, I explicitly warned him against playing any pranks.

After everything was set, we headed to Nidhi's house.

My mother radiated happiness, finally getting what she desired-an addition to the family in the form of a daughter-in-law.

Observing the affection between my mother and Nidhi brought immense joy. They weren't going to be your typical mother-in-law and daughter-in-law duo.

I anticipated Nidhi to be at her window, observing the proceedings. However, as my eyes shifted in that direction, I spotted Shivani and Priya sharing laughter.

Both of them were well aware of why I directed my attention there.

As we stood before the gate, Nidhi's parents positioned themselves directly in front of me. My mother was stationed to my left, while Aadarsh and Roshni flanked my right. Nidhi's mother commenced a series of rituals, and after approximately five minutes, Priya and Roshni hurried towards me, deftly navigating through the assembled throng. I couldn't quite fathom what a man in my current situation typically experienced, but I was engulfed in nervousness. The safa on my head was excruciatingly uncomfortable, and I was desperate to rid myself of it. The oppressive weather only compounded my unease.

"So now, you are our jiju," Priya exclaimed, her voice filled with mirth, as she and Shivani erupted into laughter, soon joined by the entire crowd.

"Priya, I believe there's still time," Aadarsh interjected, his grin widening as he moved from my side to stand protectively in front of me.

"Aadarsh Bhaiya, you can't do this," Shivani protested.

"See, we've all been on different missions, and right now my mission is to protect my brother," Aadarsh declared, extending his arms wide to shield me completely.

"Look, Aadarsh, we won't do much; we just need to properly welcome our jiju," Priya responded.

"And, our dear jiju, you should have tutored your brother. He needs to learn to share. He is not just our bhaiya but our jiju too," Priya added. I marveled at how two distinct individuals could share such a profound friendship as Nidhi and Priya did.

"Indeed, Aadarsh, you should step aside," Maa concurred.

"Maa, you are supposed to be on my side," Aadarsh replied.

"Aadarsh, it’s their right; let them proceed," Maa stated.

"Maa, really?" Aadarsh exclaimed before stepping aside.

As Shivani and Priya stood before me, my gaze fell upon a thaal laden with sweets. Wasn't I supposed to be fasting?

"Beta, remember, Nidhi and Vaibhav must fast until the pheras," Maa reminded.

"Yes, Aunty, we are aware," Priya responded.

"So, Jiju, are you fasting for our Nidhi?" Priya asked.

"Obviously, Priya," I replied.