A Spoonful of Sugar

Killer

.

.

.

"You really did a number on it this time." Kid grumbled as he popped into the front of the shop. "I'm going to have to come watch one of your races to see what the hell you put that baby through."

"I've been inviting you guys to come out and watch me for ever now." You reminded him.

You were leaned against the front counter, arms crossed in front of you. You had been carrying on light conversation with Kid's right hand man while the mechanic looked over your vehicle in order to provide you with an estimate.

If you were being honest, you were trying to figure out if it would be worth asking the blond out without giving away your interest in him. You were... testing the waters. More than anything though, you didn't want to create a reason to stop coming around.

They were the best in town-- it wasn't even a competition --and their prices were far below what they were actually worth, in your opinion. But they were very particular about their customers; they wouldn't take on just anybody. You had gone through hell just to prove you were worth their time.

"So, what's the damage? Will she live to see another race?"

The red head considered you for a moment before clicking his tongue. "Of course she will. What kind of half-assed mechanic do you take me for?"

He moved to murmur a few things to Killer. The blond simply nodding and jotting some notes down onto a sheet of paper; he passed it to you as the red head excused himself back to the garage.

"He always makes things sound worse than they are." You snorted as you skimmed over the numbers. You glanced back up to Killer. "How long do you think the work will take?"

The man brushed his curtain of bangs aside, revealing those bright blues for a fleeting moment before his hair fell right back into his face.

"Kid doesn't have the patience to wait on parts, so he had me order a variety of parts not long after we first worked on your car." He crossed his arms and drummed his fingers against his bicep. "He'll be done before we close up the shop for the day."

You looked up to see that it was only going on eleven thirty and unlike most places, Kid liked to keep the lights on until nine in the evening. You could easily take your truck and pop back home for awhile, bit it had been some time since you had found yourself this far into the city.

"You cool with me leaving the truck and trailer outside?" You asked, receiving a nod from the blond. "I'm thinking of doing a little exploring. See what's changed."

You started to straighten up, brows drawing together when the man started to come around the desk. He stopped just a step past where you stood, barely turning his head to peer over his shoulder.

"Hungry?" He inquired. "There's a good burger joint just across the street."

You grinned wide. That was an invitation you wouldn't dream of declining.

-

The burger joint had a retro theme going on with white and red checkered tiles. Pictures of actors from classic films hung in various places with their signatures and you couldn't help but notice there were quite a few images of aliens that appeared. Little spaceships dangled from the ceiling and a functioning jukebox sat towards the back wall.

Killer all but made a beeline for a booth beside the window and you could only guess that it was their regular seat. You imagined four hardworking guys built the way they were probably got most of their meals from the retro themed joint.