58: Family Love

It was tense, grim, and extremely dull. I knew for my parents and everyone else it was a heavy event, and my anxiety slowly set in my chest. Not for the actual trial, no, but for what I will do later. I look over to see Laswell sitting in the back with Charlie. I didn't want my crew here; their presence would only be too much.

I could see Charlie from the corner of my eyes, I let out a low sigh preparing myself for his reaction and the berating I be receiving. I look over to my lawyer and then to the government official to my left. They of course like everyone else question why I wanted this trial... It was purely for a selfish reason, to alleviate my guilt.

I looked over to the Russian ambassador who looked miserable, his eyes kept glancing at me like a bunny eyeing a wolf. I give him a wide smile, and he quickly looks to his translator who sat next to him. We all wore headphones; it was a nice distraction from the loud whispering of the jury.

I look over at my parents and put my hands on the desk, my eyes darting between them. Which one of them will break first and accuse me and the other of being shitty people? I bet it on Mom.

The trial begins.

It was calm for the first hour, but as the second hour continued, I could feel the anxiety rise in the room. In return, I feel my legs bounce with anticipation of an explosion.

"THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN IF YOU WEREN'T A SHITTY FATHER!"

Bingo.

The two turn to each other, like entitled people who forget that the entire world is watching them— us. I look over to see the shocked face of the Russian ambassador, his eyes flicker towards me. I simply shrugged and plopped my head into my hands as my elbows rested on the desk.

5...

4...

3...

2...

1...

"THIS WOULDN'T BE HAPPENING IF YOU COULD DO YOUR JOB RIGHT!" My father turned to me shouting with all his lungs, face beat red, and veins popping out in his neck. "LIKE ALWAYS YOU'RE A FAILURE."

"Can't you do anything right?" My mother snapped at me, her tone still sharp but not yelling, she was trying to look professional, finally remembering cameras were here.

"YOUR NOTHING BUT A RETARDED SLOW IDIOTIC GIRL!" My eyes slightly widened more in startled shock rather than sadness, I knew he felt like this but to say allowed in this economy. Shocking! I roll my eyes and tilt my eyes looking at him dully.

"Is that it?" I ask him. Is face flares veins popping in his forehead. I could see new wrinkles forming as he lost more hair on his head.

"You have always been lazy, you need to pull yourself up by your bootstrap," He slams his hand onto the table.

"You're just a lazy stupid girl, only soldiers can have PTSD," My eyes quickly dart to the nearest camera, before going back to him, "You're just a lazy brat who doesn't like to work and fake being disabled!"

"Autism is a boy disorder, you're just seeking attention," My mother jumps in.

In... Out...

In... Out...

In... Out...

The smell of salt and sunscreen hit my nose nicely, I could feel the sun warming my skin, giving me a nice warm fuzzy feeling. I could feel myself getting a tan. The sand under my feet was warm hot but not burning, I could taste the salt of the ocean. I could hear the rhythmic pull and wane of the waves crashing onto the beach.