THIRTEEN•LOST

Lita begrudgingly walked down the stairs, Jade in pursuit, descending slowly behind her. The loud sound of goodbyes prompted both Lita and Jade to head downstairs, much to Lita's relief, as their conversation about love would have to come to an end.

Lita mentally groaned as she saw Jade's mother still seated on the couch, engaged in conversation with her own mother. "Lita dear, it's lovely to meet you," the woman said, grabbing Lita's hands and patting them softly.

"Nice to meet you too," Lita replied, forcing a smile.

"Some friends are having a barbecue at the reservation; you two must just come!" the lady said, completely ignoring Charlie, who sat alone with a beer in hand. "Oh yes, and Charlie too," she added, causing him to raise his beer in acknowledgment, which made Lita laugh.

"We'd love to, Kate," Lita's mother said. After much convincing from Jade, her mother agreed to let the girls drive with them.

"So, Lita, how are you enjoying your summer break?" Jade's mother asked.

"Uh, it's been good. I just got a job, so it'll probably become a bit worse," Lita replied, eliciting a laugh from Jade.

Parking in an unfamiliar driveway, Jade led Lita inside a house she had never been to. The smell of cooked meat lingered in the air. Lita stood awkwardly behind Jade and her mother, who were instantly greeted by an older woman. Despite not knowing Lita, the lady gave her a tight hug.