41

He's fine in February. The shortest month of the year slips by, and May is getting closer and closer. Caro seems satiated when I say I found a date. She squeals into the phone when she tells me.

"Finally!" her shrieking finally turns into words. "You had me worried that you'd end up a spinster."

"I'm twenty-eight," I roll my eyes.

"Exactly!" she points out.

Twenty-eight. Nearly thirteen years. Such an unlucky number. Closer and closer to half my life ago.

"We aren't-" I hesitate. If I tell her the truth, she might jump back on the Luc train. Then, the news is certain to come out at her wedding, and I don't think I could cope with that. "Don't make this a whole thing."

"I can't help it!" she asks. "How long have you two been seeing each other? How did you meet?"

"He's my co-worker," I pull the phone in tighter, afraid that someone on the subway will somehow gather who I'm talking about, and exactly how I am deceiving my sister. My cheeks are red, and not from the heat of my coat nor all the bodies pressed into this room so tightly with one another. "If anyone asks, we're just friends. We're trying to keep things discreet."

She squeaks again and I lean my head against the metal bar in the subway.

"You are the worst, aren't you?" at least Caro is laughing. "Of course, you only start dating again because you have to keep it a secret. And it's someone you can't avoid either.. Forced proximity is a huge thing."

"Keep this up and I'm going to humiliate you during my speech at the wedding."

The line goes quiet for a second, "you wouldn't dare."

"Believe me, I would."

"If you try, Seb might laugh about it but he would kill you for me. I'm his favourite."

"Stéphane is everyone's favourite. Your threats are meaningless," I roll my eyes. I should have come up with lying to her sooner. This is the most pleasant conversation I've had with her in a long time. Perhaps since we moved back to New Hampshire.

It continues on as I get off the subway and walk into work. We talk about her job and how Cletus has agreed to live with her in New Hampshire for a year before they make any more long-term commitments to be near his family. That way, they can save up to buy a house. She has so many plans for decorating it.

"You should come help," Caro buzzes into the phone. "I hate to admit it, but you have a good eye for décor. And fashion, of course, but you already know that."

"Better me than Cletus," I mutter.

I get to the elevator just before the door closes. Someone else is on the phone inside here, so I don't feel so bad about continuing the conversation. Actually, maybe I don't want Caro to hang up.

"I'm letting him have his man cave," Caro pauses for a second. "I know you don't like him. You think he's kind of weird and his job means we aren't together a lot. You and Sebbie have made it clear what you think of him. Well, he's a good man. We both have the same values, like family and honesty. And we communicate so well. Maybe I'm afraid to share everything with him, but he makes me feel braver. He makes me laugh too. And I think most of all, he makes me a better person. He's so forgiving and patient. Clee says you and I don't get along because we are both hard-headed and stubborn. It's cheesy, but he makes me want to be the best I can be. Isn't that what you want for me?"