Strange Currencies

Would I stop by and check on her? What was I, her mother? It really was unfair of Reagan to ask of me

Would I stop by and check on her? What was I, her mother? It really was unfair of Reagan to ask of me. She knew I would. She knew I couldn't help myself.

Whether or not I had openly admitted that July's absence from our group and what she was up to all those hours at the pool were driving me mad. It was hard to say who knew me better, Reagan or Lynn. They just dealt with what they knew differently. Lately, whether that had more to do with their allegiance to July or to me, was getting hazier.

This was the longest time I had spent away from her in the last two years. And I'd never thought of her more. Even when I tried to ignore it, July came up in everyday conversation. It was like I couldn't get next to her, but I couldn't get away from her, either. I'd been sure it would pass once I was back on my feet and out of the house, but it hadn't.

"Come on, Lane might be working today, and I know Spencer's there. It's not like you won't know anybody. Just ask for her up front at the concession."

"Thank you, Reagan. I do know how to enter a public place and communicate with other human beings. Jesus! I haven't been couped up that long."

"A. Yes, you have, and B... I thought you might be a little nervous to go see about her. You know?"

"No, I don't know. Why would I be nervous? It's a favor you're asking me to do, a favor you or Lynn can't do for one of our mutual friends; what would that--- why would that involve me being nervous?" I could hear Reagan rolling her eyes as I hung up the phone.

Apparently, July jumped into the shallow end during their morning swim lessons to catch a runaway kid and misgauged the depth, smacking the top of her foot as it bent and caught her fall. I guess she couldn't go home between shifts or get her foot checked out. Knowing July, she didn't misgauge anything. She would have broken her foot to catch or save a kid.

Her mom was out of town, of course, and her grandparents dropped her off this morning on their way to some outing with the church. Her mom called Reagan from her hotel and asked that she check on her and make sure she didn't need to have it x-rayed. I guess she was worried that since July didn't have a car that day, she would be less likely to leave even if she truly needed to.