5

"I have lunch," Bri announced as she walked in with yet another tray. This tray had a huge bouquet of flowers on it. They were early spring flowers, tulips, or something.

"I also brought you these," Bri said, setting down a stack of books. Her long blonde hair was loose. The pieces that hung near her face were tied back.

Eva wondered if she could even read anymore. She had stopped school around the time she was sold for the first time.

She set the flowers on the table in the corner, bringing the tray over to Eva as she always did.

Eva hadn't moved much in the two days she had been at this place. She was increasingly confused. What exactly were they waiting for? She had to have done something that was worthy of punishment by now.

"Kenzie and I are going into town to get some groceries. Is there anything we can get you?"

Eva didn't answer. She never did.

---

"She's not eating or speaking. I'm not even sure if she is sleeping," Bri rambled to Pierce, who listened patiently as he ate his own lunch.

"Maybe one of you should go in there," Kenzie added, looking at Miles.

"Graham told us not to," Miles said. "We will talk to him about it, though."

"Logan's driving us into town after we eat," Kenzie said, changing the subject. Logan was her boyfriend, and he usually worked in the mornings. "Did you guys want anything?"

"We're okay. Thanks, Kenzie," Miles said, offering her a polite smile.

"Ask Graham if you see him," Bri added. "The flowers were a good idea. I think Eva liked them."

Miles and Pierce took their dishes into the large kitchen, cleaning them and the others that lay scattered, left from both breakfast and lunch.

"She's still not eating," Pierce said, setting a plate of food down in front of Graham. He was upstairs in their own attached apartment that the three of them shared.

Graham was working at his kitchen table.

"I don't want fear to be one of the tactics we use," Graham said, picking up his phone.

"Maybe we should send Miles in," Pierce said.

"No. You were there at the sale. She is going to associate the two of you negatively. Have the girls take their dinner up to eat with her; see if that helps."

---

Eva couldn't understand what the book was even saying. The words were unfamiliar and large.

The sun was disappearing, and right on cue, Bri knocked on the door. Kenzie was with her this time, and they had a box of pizza and several bags.

"Can we join you?" Kenzie asked, plopping down on the floor next to her. Bri sat down with her bags, unpacking different snacks and candies.

"Wasn't Logan so sweet today?" Kenzie asked Bri, opening the box. It smelled amazing. She pulled out three slices, offering one for each of them.

"Logan is my boyfriend," Kenzie said. "We met here. Graham has helped all of us out."

"Yup," Bri agreed.

"My parents were offering old men to come marry me if they would give my parents money. I was sixteen," Kenzie said.

"Graham has eyes and ears everywhere. He's taken so many people in and gotten them help. He has shelters in town; he's sponsored orphanages, so they have the financial security to provide appropriate care. It's pretty incredible."

Eva ate her slice of pizza. It tasted better than she could ever imagine.

Was everything they were saying true? No person could possibly be that good.

Bri ripped open a bag of chocolate, offering some to Eva, who took one hesitantly. She couldn't even remember when she last had chocolate like this, if ever.

"I can't wait for Van to come back," Bri said, giving a strange, dreamy sigh.

Kenzie gave a loud laugh, startling Eva. "I wish you would just ask him out already."

Bri waved her off. "He doesn't see me like that. You know that."

"He looks at you with stars in his eyes, but you're both being too stubborn."

Kenzie turned to Eva. "You will have to come down to eat with us to see them. It's pretty ridiculous."

Bri reached into a smaller zippered bag with an interesting pattern on it.

"Eva, you have stunning hair. Can I brush it?" Bri asked, showing her the brush.

Eva considered her options, before agreeing with a nod.

Bri climbed up on the bed behind her. She was gentle with the brush, and it actually felt very nice. Eva felt her eyes get heavy. Her stomach was full, and she almost felt-

No. She would never be safe. She needed to get a better grip.

"There," Bri said, tying the end of Eva's hair.

Kenzie stood up to inspect. "That's a pretty awesome braid."

Braid?

Kenzie used her phone to take a picture, showing it to Eva. Eva didn't even know hair could do that. It felt so nice.

"We should get to bed," Bri said, yawning. "The boys are cooking tomorrow, so at least we get to sleep in."

"They always leave a hell of a mess," Kenzie groaned. "I can't wait for Rosetta to come back from her trip. I miss her."

Bri nodded, packing her stuff up.

"Rosetta is our cook. She's pretty amazing, like a mother to all of us, but she hates winter and always leaves us for several weeks," Kenzie told Eva.

"We're going to stick this pizza in the fridge. You are more than welcome to go and get some of it tomorrow," Bri said. "Or if you want an official tour after breakfast tomorrow, to get your bearings, I can do that, too."

The two girls wished her a good night, leaving Eva in silence.