22

"James," Graham greeted, shaking the man's hand. "This is Pierce. He is pretty much my second-in-command regarding all of my businesses."

"I have heard a lot about you," James said, giving a wary smile as the three of them took a seat. They were at a small café in town.

"I'm sure you are wondering why we called this emergency meeting," Graham started.  "It has come to my attention that you lied to my face. Do you know what I do with liars, James?"

"I swear, I have no idea what you are talking about, Graham," James insisted. "Is that why Pierce is here? You felt the need to threaten me, but you were scared-"

"You signed a contract stating that you have never and will never purchase a human as a slave. This was a courtesy meeting to let you know that you will be hearing from my lawyer and that your contract with me is terminated."

James continued to sputter some kind of nonsense, but Graham and Pierce were already leaving the table.

"Fuck that bastard," Pierce grumbled as they got into Graham's car.

Graham turned to face him. "Thank you for going with me. I wasn't sure how he would react."

Pierce nodded. "I'm here for you. Always."

It was quiet until Graham flipped some music.

"Why didn't you just tell Eva that you make it a requirement for these men not to have owned a human life before?" Pierce asked curiously.

Graham shrugged. "She doesn't need excuses from me. She just needs me to do better."

"She scared the shit out of me," Pierce mumbled. He never wanted to see her so hurt because of them ever again.

Graham leaned over, lifting Pierce's head so their lips met.

"Me too," he admitted, letting his forehead rest on his for a moment longer. "How do you feel? I'd never exclude you or Miles purposefully."

"We know that," Pierce said. "I have been quite happy with how everything is playing out. I wish it was easier to reassure Eva that we want to pursue a relationship with her."

"It's just going to take her some time. She probably doesn't even know how to react with so much attention."

Graham pulled out of the parking lot, driving the two of them home.

The pair was pleasantly surprised to find Evie rushing to greet them when they walked through the door.

"Oh, hello," Graham said, smiling. "Have you been baking?"

Eva nodded as Graham reached up to brush some flour off of her cheek. Her cheeks pulled up in a cute smile. She always tried to hide her smiles and laughs, but he loved them so much. She was so beautiful.

"What have you been baking?" Pierce asked curiously.

"Chocolate chip cookies," she said. "Rosetta wanted me to tell you that dinner is almost ready. She made food early because she has plans tonight."

Graham cupped her cheeks. He couldn't resist leaning down for a kiss when she looked so adorable and sweet.

Eva blushed.

"Don't leave the kitchen until I get there," Graham said.

She nodded, agreeing.

"Good," he said, stepping back so Pierce could take his place. "We'll be there in a few minutes."

---

Bri and Kenzie were giggling when Eva made it back to the kitchen.

"What?" Eva asked curiously.

"We saw you kissing," Bri whispered loudly, before erupting into another fit of giggles. Kenzie tried to shush her. Eva could tell Rosetta was also listening.

Eva felt the heat run up her neck to her cheeks again.

"You guys are very cute," Kenzie said. "We didn't mean to walk in on your moment. Rosetta just wanted to know what was taking you so long."

"Right," Bri agreed. "And if us talking about it makes you uncomfortable, you just give us the word and we will never say anything else about it."

"It's okay," Eva mumbled. "Isn't that what friends do?"

Kenzie beamed, taking the stack of plates from the cabinet to set the table with.

The kitchen cleared out, and Eva took a seat on the barstool to wait for Graham who appeared not long after.

He took a plate from the cabinet, offering Eva his hand. She took it curiously.

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"To eat," Graham said.

She tried to pull her hand away, but he didn't let her, bringing it up to his lips.

"I've got you a seat between me and Miles. We're going to try this tonight, and if it doesn't work, I'll let you go back to eating in your room tomorrow," he said.

Eva felt her heart pick up speed, but she agreed because she wanted to try.

Conversation in the dining room didn't stop when they walked in. No one even looked her way, except for Pierce because he wasn't talking.

Graham helped her into her seat, before sitting himself at an angle.

"Wrap your ankles around my leg," he said.

She did as she was told, having to concentrate a little bit on the task.

Miles filled her plate for her as he chatted to Logan about something that Eva didn't quite catch.

She found it to be easier to take a bite every time Graham did.

It was much different than eating in her room. It was louder and brighter, but Eva really didn't mind the changes.

Her legs grew tired, so she untangled herself from Graham. She realized he had made her do that on purpose, to keep her mind off of everyone else, and it had worked. She relaxed a bit.

Miles leaned over to kiss her cheek.

"We are so proud of you, sunshine," he whispered.