Chapter 2: Dosen't Feel Like Freedom

Danny awoke with a start, the wisps of a nightmare still clinging to his mind. The teen gripped at his chest, gasping for breath he didn't actually need.  It took a moment for him to realize that something was different.

Toxic green eyes scanned the room he was in. The rock ceiling was high, shadowed due to the only light in the room being the faintly glowing teen and a few torches lit with soft blue flames. Dannt was laying atop a bed of furs, large enough to comfortably fit several bears. There was a distinct chill in the air, one that helped replenish Danny's strength and calm him from his dream.

There was only one place that he knew could get this cold.

He was in the Far Frozen.

Danny was free.

Iridescent green tears welled up in the halfas eyes before quickly falling down his face. Gloved hands came up to rub away the faintly glowing streaks, only for them to be replaced by more a second later. Soft sobbs ripped from the teens chest, a torrent of emotions washing over the dead boy.

Relief.

Pain.

Sadness.

Regret.

Anger.

He honestly couldn't make heads or tails of what he was feeling, only that it was enough to make him cry in a way that he hadn't since he was a child. Perhaps it was because this was the first time he was in a place where he was safe enough to truly feel. He had been unable to mourn the deaths of his loved ones as he only found out when they showed him the pictures while he was restrained. He had had to put his feelings on the back burner to keep himself from going insane.

He wasn't sure if he had succeeded.

The young man's sobbs echoed throughout the caverns, drawing the attention of a few large figures in the neighboring cave. 

Pandora looked towards the room that Danny had been placed in after the other two had brought his unconscious body through the portal. Amorpho had given her the rundown of what had happened a few hours ago, and they had been sitting, waiting for the young halfa to awaken.

Frostbite gave a sad sigh as he heard the cries coming from Sir Daniel's room. It pained him that such a good, kind soul was forced to go through so much at such a young age. He did not deserve the horrible hand that he had been dealt.

“Shouldn't we go check on him,” Pandora asked, her normally strong voice was now barely a whisper as she looked upon her abominable friend.

The horned Ghost nodded, standing and offering his furn covered hand to the woman. The large ghost woman smiled softly as she took the man's clawed hand, allowing him to help her up. Once she was standing she grabbed her helmet from the table, placing it upon her head before taking the lead and walking swiftly towards the sound of broken sobbs.

Danny was caught in an endless loop of despair and self blame. The teen gripped at his matted snowy hair, tugging so hard he was sure he would have ripped some out if he was in his human form. The pain helped ground him in a way, but he also couldn't help but hear Jazz's voice in his head, telling him that physical pain wouldn't make the hurt go away. That it would only direct it elsewear. That if someone depended on that, then eventually there would be no physical pain enough to distract from the gaping wounds in your heart.

He could almost feel her warm arms wrap him in a hug. It only made him sobb harder.

Pandora watched the crying halfa in her arms. She had only wrapped him in one pair of her arms, using the other to support herself and hold her spear. Eventually she decided to drop the weapon, subtly adjusting the boy in her arms so that she could wrap all four appendages around his shaking figure. Danny turned, burying his head into the tall Ghost's stomach.