Chapter 24

Allison had asked me for some alone time, and I'd obliged. In all honesty, I wasn't sure I should be around people with this sort of anger coursing through me. I'd never felt such strong feelings before. Especially feelings so negative.

So I left and locked myself in my room, dealing with my emotions the only way I knew how. By ignoring them. I took out my spell book and flipped to a random page, reading as much as I could. I read, but it wasn't enough, the restless anger thrumming just under my skin, so I went to the offensive magic. I went to the darkest parts of magic in the book, the pages I usually avoided because I hadn't wanted to know how to turn a man's body inside out. Now however, reading the different ways I could make others suffer, ways they could feel even a fraction of my pain, made me feel good. It fed my anger and I greedily read everything I could.

I was interrupted by Allison, who knocked on my door with a grim expression on her face. It was only then I realised just how much time had passed; it was dark outside.

"Which side are you on?" she asked evenly, staring at me from the doorway.

We both already knew the answer, but my face hardened anyway as I said, "my family."

Allison half smiled, probably the most she was capable of right now, and showed me her phone. It was a message from Scott, asking for the bestiary and to meet him at the station with Derek. Before I could question her about it she spoke. "Scott would never text me that, and certainly not to me. He wouldn't risk us getting caught."

I looked at Allison's phone to her face, silent, before getting up, the both of us going to the basement where the rest of the family was. I was aware of the curious glances and looks, no doubt due to the revelation of my being a witch. I didn't care though, because I was already on this side. Better to let them know what weapons they had in their arsenal. I ignored Gerard though, whose intense gaze seemed to be drilling holes into the side of my head. That letter was too fresh, and looking at him only reminded me of the contents it had held, and what I had lost.

Allison showed Chris the text, and with a single word from him the rest of the family- extended family, I suspected, who were primarily soldiers- started getting armed and ready. For what, we weren't sure yet, but Allison and I had a good idea of what we wanted it to be.

Revenge on Derek.

"He wants the bestiary," Chris read aloud, frowning at the screen.

Allison took the phone away before Chris could look too hard and see any earlier texts. "It's not Scott. He wouldn't have texted me, and he definitely wouldn't have mentioned Derek."

I ignored the spark of anger at his name, resisting the urge to bare my teeth like a caged animal.

Chris motioned for Allison to show Gerard the message, which she did however reluctantly. The old man's eyebrows rose has he read the message, mild curiosity shown on his face.

"The sheriff's station?" he inquired.

Chris interrupted him. "If Derek's really there, I doubt it's willingly."

"You think Jackson's there too?" I asked.

"Maybe," Gerard admitted.

Chris looked up at his father. "Maybe him and the one controlling him."

One of the nearby family members laid out a sheet of paper on the table, blueprints of the police station. I briefly wondered how they'd managed to get their hands on it, before deciding I didn't want to know.

I studied the map as the other's spoke, half listening while trying to memorise the layout. I'd only been there once, and during that time I'd been dragged around against my will so I hadn't exactly been focusing on my surroundings.