Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

Ch. 22: Promise me

Fury scratched at Anthony's already sensitive temper, and he threw Maurice Lavigne to the side like garbage that missed the can. Maurice's back hit the wall, but he seemed more amused with that shit-eating smile than fearing the monster bleeding on the marble floor or angry at Anthony for grabbing him. This man just smiled.

Anthony's grip tightened. "Did you enjoy the show?"

"You're bleeding on my night coat," Maurice said out, looking Anthony up and down as if Anthony wouldn't tear his head off the trunk of his neck. He wouldn't think that was so funny.

"This isn't funny," Anthony nearly spat, the temperature of his temper rising. "I need a reason, an answer, for you to just stand there and watch that monster try to kill us."

"Who are you to put me on trial? I don't care what family you come from. In this house, I outrank you..." His eyes narrowed in on Anthony, snagging on something. Maurice just smiled wider. "I'm willing to forgive this infraction. All that fighting must've made you hungry, Anthony. Your eyes are blood red."

Anthony's stomach dropped. His grip loosened as Anthony's mind caught back up with his body. He extended his fangs, and his muscles threatened to break and reform him into a beast. One simple pull of his threading and Anthony would come apart.

From behind, someone grabbed Anthony's wrist and pulled him in, enclosing themselves around Anthony. Knox's sweet scent blanketed Anthony like a thick morning fog and Anthony was lost in it, falling into Knox's chest. Relief flooded Anthony's body, and his strength disappeared inside the wash. He could collapse now, knowing Knox was up. He could go down.

Knox held Anthony tight, pressing Anthony's arm against his own chest, acting as his safety belt. Out of breath, Knox said, "We can talk later. Apologies, Uncle, but I need to take my fiancé to a doctor."

"I'd sooner get him an exorcism," Maurice said as Knox dragged Anthony back, rushing into the closest door and forward into the hall. Anthony felt Knox wobble and his chest tightened.

"Knox," Anthony said, twisting out of his hold to get a look at his face. "Knox?"

He didn't answer. He just slipped and Anthony caught him, letting Knox collapse on top of him as they lowered onto the floor until Anthony was flat on his back. Anthony gathered him up, encircling Knox's back and holding him tight. Knox let out a long sigh against Anthony's shoulder before shifting and turning into Anthony's neck. Anthony savored Knox's weight on top of him. This was true comfort.

"I hate..." Knox said, and Anthony's grip tightened. His first and greatest fear was that Knox had it with all the violence that he was tired of Anthony always being at the scene of the crime. Anthony must've exhausted Knox, forcing him to chase after Anthony, who dove headfirst into every situation.

"I hate that you have to keep saving me," Knox whispered, curling his arm behind Anthony and grabbing a handful of his shirt. "You're in danger just being near me but... but I don't know I'd do without you."

Anthony's nerves fizzled out into a nervous little laugh. "Well, that's too bad." He ran his hand through the back of Knox's hair to his neck, caressing back and forth. "I'd fight anything if it looked at you funny."

Knox picked up his head, and Anthony relaxed on the floor, looking up at him. "You shouldn't have to fight so much to stay with me."

Anthony shrugged. "It's worth it," Anthony said, but Knox didn't seem convinced.

"Your highness!" Milan shouted, echoed by Knox's mother.

"Knox!"

They hurried through the same doors and descended onto them, helping the boys up. Wearing the angriest scowl, Johanna smacked Knox's arm in the lightest way possible. "You should be resting. Why did you run off?"