Chapter 3: Heartless

I followed Zade as we walked down the halls of the town's Morgue. Zade asked permission from the Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner earlier, which was not so hard to get since this was for investigation purposes. We then entered a room full of vaults where they keep the bodies.

We walked up to a table where a body was covered by a sky-blue cloth from head to toe. I assumed this is the victim from a week ago. Zade took a folder from the table beside the  body, and handed it to me.

"This is what we know about the victim." He said as he gestured to the folder in my hands.

I looked at the cover of the folder before opening it.

* * * * *

UNSOLVED

NAME: ANDREW FUERTE

AGE: 20 YEARS OLD

SEX: MALE

HEIGHT: 6'2

EXTRA INFO: SECOND YEAR ARCHITECT STUDENT, HAS A PART-TIME JOB.

CLUES FOUND IN THE CRIME SCENE: BROKEN WINDOW, MESSY/ BLOODY BEDROOM.

BODY CONDITION: BRUISES FOUND ON THE BOTH ARMS AND LEGS, WOUNDS AND CUTS ALL OVER, AND A HEARTLESS CHEST

KILLER: UNKNOWN 

* * * * *

I stared at the victim's profile and try to look between the lines but I got nothing. I turned to him with a serious look.

"I can't solve this with limited information."

"I know, I just want to introduce you to our first victim... well, your first victim." He said as he approached the body.

"We are going to need more than just this kind of introduction"

"Oh, I know, just wanted to make sure you know our victim's background."

"What a way of introduction." I say with a little sarcasm.

"Well, would you like to be introduced personally?" He replied with the same sarcasm.

"That would be appreciated."

He smiled and glanced at the body, his smile turned back into a serious one as he pulled the cloth that was covering the body's face. I looked at the body when his face was revealed. He had a charming face. A dead, non-breathing charming face.

I glanced at the victim's chest to examine the wound at the center. 'Indeed, the chest had been opened and the victim's heart was stolen.'  I thought.

I examine the body again for myself, just in case the police investigation unit miss anything. 'No offence, officers.' 

I then stopped when I noticed some sort of small dot on the victim's neck, like really small.

"Zade, check this out." I say to him, he got curious and hurried to my side.

"What is it?" 

I pointed at the small dot, careful to not touch the victim's body. "Looks like the skin was poked with some kind of needle. Do you think the victim got anesthetic by the killer?" He asked as he looked at me, wanting verifications.

"Could be."

He nodded and stood up straight. "I'll look it up, see what I can find. In the meantime get some rest."

I stood straight as well and turned to him. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am. It's not like we have a dozen bodies to uncover, even if we do, it's not our job to do so."