NOT TOO SHY

What had she done?

It was too late. They had a deal, but Thandie didn't know how she felt. She gave Callum hope without knowing whether she could reply to his feelings.

For the moment, she maintained that he was a nice guy. She wondered why a good bloke like him didn't have someone in his life. Okay, his shyness didn't attract Thandie, but she was sure other women liked shy guys. Her past experiences had made her wary of such men.

Diana King sang it; she didn't want a fly guy but wanted a shy guy. The tune stuck in Thandie's mind as she walked down Callum's bakery street.

I don't want no fly guy

I just want a shy guy

That's what I want yey

You know what I want yey Oh Lord, have mercy, mercy, mercy

Di man dem in a di party party party

Di ole a dem sexy sexy sexy

Watch dem just a

Follow me, follow me, follow me

Thandie's face lit up with a smile as she reminisced about her youth and the cassettes that filled her older sister's room: Salt N Peppa, Jodeci, Mary J Blige, Adina Howard, General Levi, and many more. The music that blasted out of their house when their parents were away was a sweet memory.

There, Diana King's Tougher Than You album played in her mind, from Love Triangle to the cover of Chaka Khan's Ain't No Body. The thoughts allowed her to escape the cold morning ambiance. In his thoughts, Royal walked far off in front while the girls walked together.

Thandie realized that perhaps Royal suffered more than everyone. The girls outnumbered him. The conversations were always more fluid between Thandie and her girls, whereas, with Royal, things had changed.

He was still a helpful son but more reserved. He was getting stronger, and so was his authority over his sisters. Thandie didn't want him to be a tyrant, yet her son seemed to think it was his duty to police everyone, including her.

At the bakery, everyone looked at Callum with suspicion. He wasn't his usual stoic self. He fidgeted like an impatient child. Suddenly, he stepped out.

"What's up with him?" Sue asked.

Liz smiled, "I think our Callum has found his lady of interest."

Outside, Callum lit his cigarette. He had barely slept, his thoughts racing like a wild goose. He yearned, no, he fervently hoped Thandie would step out, even for a brief chat with him at night.

"Morning, Callum."

"Morning, Keith," Callum replied as Royal walked past. The boy didn't stop.

Had Royal fallen behind, or did he walk too fast?

The customers who greeted Callum prevented him from seeing. Had he missed her?

Callum greeted one customer after another. What was wrong with them? Since when did customers come in troops? The man felt like he had been hit by a tourist car when he heard, "Good morning, Callum."

He couldn't believe it. It was the first time Thandie initiated things. Her hands were free. Where was her youngest?

Callum looked down to find Belle Ange looking up from her pram as if she knew the man was eyeing her.

"Hi, girls. Do you want something inside? You can go in and ask Liz if you like."

"Hello, yes, we'd like that," Meia, the official spokesman of Thandie's kid's quartet, said, dragging Kenya. The pastries call was greater than anything. The scent of Callum's cakes held the street hostage. Only Thandie seemed undisturbed.