Chapter 3 - The Brooklyn Bridge

Single eyeballs located throughout the hotel followed the couple down the hall until they stopped far enough. The maroon wallpaper flushed against Vaggie's back; she watched Charlie jump back and forth in excitement.

"What's wrong now?" She inquires, glancing around to ensure privacy.

"Alastor and Y/n!" Charlie didn't need to say much else before Vaggie held her hand up.

"What? You think that psycho has feelings?" She folds her arms.

"Come on, you saw how weird he became when he recognised her!" Charlie urges, eyes sparkling brighter than ever.

"I guess you're right... but anyways, what does this have to do with anything??" Her eyes dart to the side, suspicious of the deep darkness overtaking the rest of the hall.

"Al is all about watching people suffer, right?" Charlie waits for Vaggie to nod before continuing, "Well, what if someone was there to warm up his ice-cold heart?"

"Are we sure he even has one?" Vaggie mutters quietly.

"Please, Vaggie? Can we at least try? He might even become more help in the hotel!" While it was a rush of a discussion, Vaggie still considered it. What if there was a possible benefit? Even if it ended up just being Alastor sweeping up after destroying any of Sir Pentious' inventions.

"Fine, fine, but no pushing it, okay? If we're wrong, then there's no knowing what that creepy asshole is going to do," Vaggie couldn't help but sigh with a smile at the sight of Charlie jumping with joy.

"Oh, this is going to be amazing!"

~~~

Alastor finally got up to his studio, letting out a deep sigh of relief. Now, he was alone beside his shadow, who looked guilty. "As my companion, you know alerting me of such a significant revelation is a priority, yes?"

Alastor's smile twitches, only calming down when he sits in his seat. The comforting cushion let him lean back in a seemingly minuscule moment of contentment. The revelation hit him once again, and his undead heart seemed to pick up its pace.

He pulls the chair closer to his desk, setting his face in the cold embrace of his hands. A rushing blush in his cheeks seems to counteract the icy touch, a slight snicker given by his shadow.

His head spun to the wall, eyes glowing a dangerous crimson as the sound of static fills the air, "What was that?"

The radio buzz grew louder, nearly shaking his studio. Lights started to flicker, a green glow overtaking the soundboard in front of him, turning knobs and flicking switches until the broadcast began. He curls his hands around the microphone, snatching it closer, which seems to revert him to his usual self.

"Salutations, sinners!" He gave a quiet sigh, beginning his segment in delight. Covering the weather so far and for the rest of the week, topics ranged from the subpar "upgrade" from Vox tech to the recent rush hour traffic crisis in the Lust circle.

Throughout his hour-long broadcast, his mind continued to wander, eventually focusing on the drawer to his right. He continues to talk casually to the microphone while curling his hand around the handle and pulling lightly. Swiping at the drawer's contents, eventually, he revealed a small photo booth strip. It was slightly frayed at the edges, coloured muted beiges with two figures huddled close with bright smiles.

Suddenly, he diverts the topic. "Let's take a break, shall we? This is The Brooklyn Bridge by Glenn Miller," He lets a jazz song play throughout the broadcast as he leans back in his chair. The music brings him back to an old memory, slowly sounding like it left a band right in front of him.

"Oh, please, Alastor?" Your sweet voice brought a warm feeling to his chest, "We absolutely must get a photo together!"

Alastor looked at you, smiling, "If you so wish," he pulled his arm, and subsequently you, closer. You both hurry to join the line, standing by the live band who played The Brooklyn Bridge by Glenn Miller. Closer and closer, you two neared the booth as a couple after the couple took a photo and left.

Soon enough, you both clamour into the booth, curtains drawn shut behind Alastor. Putting in a few coins, he fixes his hair as best he could before smiling at the camera. Flash. The photo was captured, and the next countdown was given. What he didn't expect from this was your arms linking again and your head resting on his shoulder.

His cheeks were burning a deep maroon by the gesture. Adjusting his glasses before the next flash, Alastor was brought to a moment of pure delight, calm, sweet joy.

His eyes open. Back in hell, decades later, he still couldn't shake that feeling. The looming shadow could only laugh to himself at the sight, quickly shutting up when Alastor's eyes snapped to him. "Quiet," he hisses, hiding the photo and rolling his eyes with an irritated smile. He shuts the drawer and presses the right button, "and we're back! Hope I wasn't missed too much~"

~~~

"Stay?" You do a double take, "here? In the hotel?"

Charlie nods, "I could really use the help! Vaggie and I have been so busy trying to get more people to stay that we've neglected some managing duties,"

Your mind passed over the possibility. The museum was always pristine and kept to the correct standard even while you were away; plus, with no new exhibitions planned to be announced within the next few months, you were practically free most days of the week.

After enough thought, you finally nod, "I suppose I can- woah!" You were instantly knocked down by Charlie, whose eyes were of entire stars.

"You won't regret this!" She gleams, quickly pulling you back up. "And the bus out front takes you right to the museum!"

"Well, then I'll let you show me to my new room then," you suspected she had already planned a room, knowing that look she gave.

She scoffs, "No... maybe... yes," she then grabs your hand and drags you away yet again like a rag-doll.

~~~

I lowkey woke up and started editing this chapter like I had tunnel vision or smth lol my bad if it's edited weirdly

- Anna ❤️