Chapter 17 - Endless Maze

A fresh nightly breeze brushes by, clouds softly moving past the ethereal moonlight. Polished marble steps led to each level of the garden, all ending at the entrance of a towering maze. Arrays of freshly bloomed flowers sparkle like heavenly lights, glinting with fresh droplets dusting each leaf.

The smell of freshly trimmed grass lingered as an undernote to the gentle floral scent, almost sharp to the nose after suffocating in a room overwhelmed with cologne and perfume. With string instruments gently pulled on within the ballroom, the sound of stuttering sprinklers felt like neat silence in comparison.

"I miss the gardens back home," you take a deep breath, "back in New Orleans, I miss it all,"

He gives you a moment to take in the view. "And why's that?" He held his arm out for you to take.

You take it and lead him towards the rest of the garden. "Simplicity. I mean, I had a routine- we had a routine, no Hell nonsense,"

"My darling, do you really think all has changed that much?" He asks genuinely. "Beyond the obvious visual change, how much has truly changed?"

You give it a proper thought, adjusting your hold on his arm before turning down the left path. "It's been decades since we last saw one another,"

Alastor stops you before you can walk any further, "And?" his hands gently move yours into a comforting hold, "Are you not the same Y/n I knew in life?"

"I am," you let him take your other hand.

"Who's favourite colour is ____? Who would always dance when ____ played? Who could never say no to a bouquet of ____?" He went on and on.

"Yes, yes, and yes," you laugh.

His heart seemed to ignite at your smile, his hands holding back from moving to your face. To keep the smile he admired on the person he adored. Your smile was enough to brighten his day and night, the glooms in the sky no longer hovering, the stress of it all disappearing. He felt more than admiration, in fact. He felt love. Undying and unwavering affections to the one who granted him the simple joy of company.

"Then you understand my point, yes?" he tilts his head.

"I suppose I do..."

"The blissful ignorance of innocence on Earth may be missing, that's for certain!" he admits with a slightly cheery tone, "but, ma chère," Alastor's expert steps bring you into a dip, "we should never frown upon substitutions," he keels his head towards the maze, letting a memory of sweet Autumn air drift by, Alastor's brown hair flowing in the breeze as his maroon scarf flutters.

"You think I'll have a chance in these shoes?"

"Then let's fix that," he clicks his fingers.

"A game?" you look from Alastor to the maze. "What type of game?"

Alastor let you approach the entrance of the maze, "now, let's not make this too easy," green magic immediately poured out from the labyrinth, the bushes rumbling and rustling wildly within the confines.

"Are you..." stepping forward once, a view into the maze provided a substantial answer. He was moving the maze.

"No peaking," he places both hands over your eyes, leaning to your ear, "We wouldn't want to ruin all the fun, would we?"

"No looking at the map," he turns you chest to chest with him. "What fun would that be, ma douce?"

"Do the prizes still stand the same, Mr Radio Demon?" You wait until he moves his hands from your eyes and to your waist.

"They certainly do," he rests his head on yours, "though it has been ages! You're always welcome to back out now~."

"You know better than to think I'd back down from a challenge," you pull away from his hold, placing his hands over his own eyes, "start counting~" you whisper into his ear.