Alleviation

September 7, 2026

I accompanied Ezra and Jenna in the considerable line, awaiting the vaccine. Overjoyed chatter bounced around the concrete walls of the hallway. The ambience of hope hovering over their heads, aware that it is just in their reach now. The line snaked into med bays single door. Jenna's hand has not departed from Ezra's since we picked her up from the children's center.

"Will it hurt?" Jenna bleated, standing slightly in front of Ezra. Her small icy blue eyes polished with apprehensive anticipation.

"It will just be a small pinch," he reassured, the corner of his lips lifting upwards.

"Your brain is just working you up. I promise it's not bad," I attempted to add to the comforting. Although comforting people, especially children, was never one of my strong suits.

"Long ass line," Ethan hummed from behind us, roughly patting Ezra's back.

I peeked backwards to see the line of approximately fifteen people queued behind us that he just cut in front of. All shooting frigid daggers into the back of his head. Ethan was a very blunt and abrasive individual. He and Cara shared the similarity of spewing audacious words. Although the divergence of the pair would be Cara doesn't think about what she says it just pours out. Ethan however, meticulously contemplates his words, but still makes the statements regardless.

"Language," Ezra scolded, his eyes drifting to Jenna.

"Sorry kid. This is a long butt line," Ethan sarcastically corrected, adding air quotes with his fingers at the word butt. Eliciting a giggle from Jenna.

"Did you just cut in front of all those people?" my eyes darted between him and the displeased continued glares behind us.

"Hey you aren't getting the vaccine, so I'm just taking your spot," he shrugged, earning an eye roll from myself.

While the pair exchanged dense banter over whether the vaccine would give them abilities, such as super hearing or a heightened sense of smell. I analyzed Fenwick and Sullivan isolated from the line, at the end of the hallway.

Fenwick was berating Sullivan, his movements were jerky as he spoke with his hands. Hands that were inches from the embarrassed man's face. Rage was dripping from Fenwick, enveloping every ounce of his burning existence. Sullivan hunkered down, his back constrained against the concrete, as if he could escape the wrath by sinking into it. Disappearing from whatever the conflict may be. For a fleeting second I could have sworn to see a contemptful expression pass over Sullivan's features. Fenwick was taking careful consideration at his voice's level, keeping it low. Ensuring no one else heard the scolding he was handing Sullivan.

Those pesky alarm bells were ringing inside my head once again. My gut twisting, cruelly clawing at my insides. As if signaling something wasn't right, but what could it be? If it were a detrimental issue, they would have to broadcast it to the residents. Wouldn't they? If it were relating to the vaccine, there is no way they'd continue on with the distribution today. They've also already tested the vaccine amongst themselves prior to today. So that can't be it.

"Flo, you are bleeding," Jenna squeaked, her gaze on my hand.

I glanced down to see four lines of crimson streaking out from my closed fist. Dripping against the stained gray below me.  I hadn't even realized it was clenched, especially not to the degree for my nails to dig into my skin.

"Oh," was all I could manage to say. Unsure why I did it in the first place. A troubled look flashed over Ezra's eyes while Ethan starred in bewilderment.

"Well that's not weird," Ethan interjected. "Good thing we are outside of med bay I suppose."

Ezra shot Ethan a warning glare, before twisting his head back to me, "You should see if they can take care of that."