Chapter 13: returning home

The two last months, finished quickly. Well, not that quickly, since there were the final exams there too, but it passed away faster than the rest of the year.
Adelaide and Somerset were the only students who got scores higher than 100 percent in all of their subjects. Lily, Dorcas, Frank, William and Severus with a couple of others had scored higher than 100 percent in one or a few of their exams too.

Now it was the last few days that they were in Hogwarts for their first year, without any classes and the feast was at the end of the week. The girls were sitting beside the lake at their usual spot, looking at the lake in front of them, even though they were glad that there exams were finished, but it also meant that they would return home.

"It was a nice year. It could have been worse." Dorcas said, breaking their silence.

"I am glad that this is year is over, everything here was so new it was overwhelming for me at times. But next year will be better. I am more experienced in the wizarding world and not so out of place." Mary replied.

"You're right. It was hard at times, but when I found all of you, it became easier for me." Lily replied hugging her friends.

"I am glad i found you too. I hope we can keep these friendships for a long time." Marlene said grinning at them, putting her head on Mary's shoulder.

"Yeah, even if, sometimes we disagree in the future or anything happens let's not let it ruin our friendships." Adelaide said solemnly.

"Oh, i have an idea. Let's write and sign our names on this paper and swear on it. Then let's burn it, in the eternal flames of Adelaide's power." Sarah said, already bringing out a quill and paper.

"Good idea. Let's start with you Marlene." Adelaide replied.

Their names were written in the order of Marlene, Dorcas, Lily, Alice, Adelaide, Sarah and Mary.

"Until death do us part. Let it be known that we will be friends until our days end on the surface of the earth." Sarah said theatrically "let it be known that if we die, we'll meet each other, beside a lake, where the swans swim and birds sing."

All of the girls giggled. "Where did you learn these stuff?" Alice said surprised but her friend's words.

"Hush now, you're ruining the moment. Adelaide may you do the honours of burning this paper?" Sarah said in a hurried voice.

Adelaide nodded and burned the paper. The paper grew yellow and started burning. It was engulfed in flames so warm and began burning the names from the very first name as soon as possible.
They cheered after the paper was nothing but dust and ashes.

"Well, let's go inside. Shall we everyone?" Adelaide suggested.

....................
"Professor Dumbledore? You wanted to see me today? It's not Wednesday."

"Yes, i wanted to see you before you go. I am sure i'll see you in summer like always, but i wanted to tell you as a reminder to practice every day with your powers. The ones we worked on. Don't use anything other than that. It can be dangerous. If you felt anything wrong or different about them, such as their growth or anything like that, please feel free to tell me. As soon as possible."

"Very well then. Thank you."

"Adelaide, before you go. I think you already know that by now, but we have dark years ahead of us. I want you to be careful. Anything can happen these days."

"I know. I will." She nodded solemnly at him. "Bye professor."

"Bye Adelaide."

When Adelaide exited the room and went into the corridor, she saw Narcissa. She had not seem her any other place other than the times they went to eat and since it was the OWLs, and the whole situation with her sister, she spent most of her times in her dormitory, rarely going out with their friends. She had smiled at her and waved at her, but never said a word to Adelaide.