Chapter 9: Dust in the Wind

EVELYN

Evelyn sighed in exasperation, something she realized she did quite frequently when it came to dealing with Jonathan Johnson. How was it that just the other night she'd been able to coax a laugh out of him. She'd even started to wonder if there was anything more satisfying than when he tossed his head back and let out a true laugh. So often he seemed to be wearing that hardened expression, the one that carved a mask out of his face. But that laugh? His smile? It was a beautiful thing full of warmth and life, and for a moment, when he laughed like that, it split his mask in two. But now as they prepared to travel to River District, it was more than clear that the mask had slipped back into place as seamlessly as a well-worn glove.

"What do you mean you don't usually travel at night?" She repeated, barely holding back her annoyance, "how has this never come up?"

Jonathan shrugged, "I'm telling you; it really doesn't matter. I really don't understand that whole nocturnal thing you had going on."

"That's what they told us in the bunker!" Evelyn said stubbornly, "and it makes perfect sense too. It's normal routine to sleep at night so they should be more dormant at night."

Jonathan shook his head, "but don't you notice that not all of them will actually do the whole sleep routine? Some of them just keep doing what they're doing! By your logic all of them would go home, brush their teeth and hop in bed every night."

Evelyn frowned, refusing to acknowledge that he had made a good point. "It's not my logic," she said finally, "it's the research team at SFU's logic! So, what? By your logic the soulless are just picking and choosing what routines they want to follow! I thought their whole deal was that they had no agency."

"I don't know, it has something to do with Sigma scrambling all their brain signals, doesn't it? Why are you asking me, anyways? You're the doctor, shouldn't you know how all that brain stuff works?"

Evelyn rolled her eyes, "I'm Pre-Med and I never studied zombie brain science! I don't think I even have enough credits to declare my actual major!"

"You know what? We're wasting daylight," Jonathan snapped, slinging on his backpack, and hobbling towards the store exit, "You want to come to River District? Fine. I am leaving now; you decide whether or not you are coming along." Jonathan reached up to pull back the soundproofing curtain and winced as the motion aggravated his still-healing ribs.

"Here, let me do that," Evelyn said, coming forward and trying to maneuver around him. Jonathan didn't move, stubbornly standing in front of the gate. "Do you want my help or not? Cooperate with me here!"

Jonathan tried unsuccessfully for the curtain again. Evelyn noticed he had a habit of trying to take on more than he was able to like he was trying to prove something. Every exercise she'd given him, he'd pushed himself faster, harder. Though his knee was still in a brace, the swelling had gone down substantially, and thankfully none of his wounds had gotten infected... yet. It had only been a few days after all. As she watched him struggle with the curtain, she sighed. He'd been grumpy all morning since she'd finally managed to convince him that they had to head back. They both knew his best chance of making a full recovery would be to head back to River District for some real medical help. After all, her shotty dental floss stiches were a far cry from a permanent fix. It would probably take three times as long for her to navigate her way to River District without him and they both knew he wouldn't make it there without her. Whether he liked it or not, they needed each other.

She rolled her eyes and nudged him out of the way. "Can you just stop being so stubborn and let me help you? You've already accepted—"

"Tolerated." he grumbled.