Chapter 20: Bridge Over Troubled Waters

EVELYN

"I think you're bleeding again."

"Oh yeah. Sorry," Jonathan said noticing, as if for the first time, the fresh blood from his shoulder seeping through his t-shirt. He looked a bit startled hearing the sound of her voice and she didn't blame him. She hadn't spoken to him or the man in camo, who had introduced himself as "Guy," since they'd arrived at the safe house. It was a quaint little farm property, just off by the river and buried in a forest of trees and unkept greenery. As it was one of Guy's primary residences, it had been rigged with a complex maze of nets and traps that kept the Soulless at bay. Apparently, this is where he and Jonathan had spent the last few days planning her rescue.

"What do you mean sorry?" She asked, "Sorry for what? Bleeding?"

"It's fine, I'm fine."

"You are not fine."

"I mean I'm a little dizzy, but I'll be—"

Evelyn was already pulling him into a chair. "Oh, give it a rest already. Don't be a hero and just sit down."

He looked as if he was about to protest again but Evelyn had gotten down to business and was up to her elbows rummaging through the backpack Jonathan had brought from River District. She decided it was better to work, to focus, to think about other things...to move forward.

"Take off your shirt."

"What?"

"We need to disinfect it and stuff, right?" she said as she pulled items out of the bag. "Put some pressure on that would you? Maybe try to stop the bleeding a bit."

"Oh yeah, right... sorry," He mumbled again using his hand to cover the darkening spot on his sleeve. Despite the shower and fresh clothes, he still looked like hell. She reckoned she probably didn't look much better, but she hadn't been inclined to check out her own appearance in a mirror. Amazingly there was still water running in the house, but having met Guy, this didn't come as a surprise. He seemed to have been preparing for the apocalypse even before the virus. They sat there for a moment, listening to Guy's off beat singing as he took his turn in the bathroom.

She glanced up at Jonathan again, "Stop apologizing for bleeding."

"Okay... Sorry."

"Sorry for what, now? being reckless? Or for tearing your stitches again?"

"Both?"

"Stop apologizing if you're just going to keep putting yourself in these kinds of situations."

"Sorry," Jonathan smirked, enjoying the fact that he knew he was getting under her skin, and she felt her desire to pick a fight with him diffuse, "But you know it kind of comes with the territory— living in the apocalypse and all. If it helps, I have a good excuse this time. I was rescuing you."

"Right... and that was brave but also incredibly stupid of you." Evelyn's hands stilled in their search through her bag. She looked away, hoping he didn't catch the look on her face, "but, that being said... thank you. It was... looking really scary there for a minute."

"Oh..." Jonathan's expression was an awkward mix of surprise and sincerity at her candor, "you're welcome, I guess. It seemed like the right thing to do... you did the same for me right?"

"Right..." She said.

They stared at each other for a moment, neither knowing exactly what to do or say.

"So... shirt?" she asked awkwardly.

"Oh right," he said.

Evelyn watched as he grabbed the offending garment by the back of his collar and pulled it over his head. Were all men taught to take off their shirts that way to look like that on purpose or was it pure coincidence that it was so incredibly fascinating to watch the way the fabric bunched in his fist and smoothly slid off his body to showcase the tensing muscles in his arms and back? Kevin would've probably fainted.